Re: Adhesives for paper collage

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      I find that tacking the paper (or other media) elements with elmers glue, and then sealing the image with an acrylic varnish both works well, and has long staying power. Some of my earliest collages, circa 1969-81(http://collagegallery.com/turner_retro2.htm), have neither yellowed in the whites, nor lost their original pigment color.

      Last year I began using a household acrylic finish, at about 1/5 the price of the traditional "art" products, and am completely satisfied with the results. Neither product line has been tested for millennial longevity, so I see no argument against the less expensive alternative.

      David

      For the finest in historical, contemporary and avant garde collage from around the world visit CollageGallery.Com at <http://www.collagegallery.com>

      Email David Turner or CollageGallery.Com at vapto@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
          When you use the wheat paste, does it dry without a In trace or does it
          leave a slight residue. In other words, if you are a bit sloppy, can it be
          seen?

          Thanks . Gammy
        • galfonse@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
            Thanks a lot for your wheat paste information. It was very clear and
            explicit, just
            what I love. I guess what I meant was whether the adhesive could be seen on
            the
            surface, but since it is matte, I guess not. Anyway, thanks again.
          • Kerri Lindstrom
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
              I heard that wheat paste can attract bugs. Is this true? Also, I have been using
              Mod Podge (matte) in my collages and I really like my results and it's seems much
              cheaper than matte medium. Has anyone had any experience with Mod Podge or know
              how it holds up?

              When you use the wheat paste, does it dry without a In trace or does it
              leave a slight residue. In other words, if you are a bit sloppy, can it be
              seen?

              Thanks . Gammy

              MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
              Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
              Apply NOW!
              http://click.egroups.com/1/2122/2/_/516930/_/952007391/
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
                In a message dated 3/2/00 10:38:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, qmn@...
                writes:

                << Has anyone had any experience with Mod Podge or know how it holds up? >>

                I have used Mod Podge a lot this past year and it seems to be holding up
                rather well. I use it to clue down the paper and then coat with clear
                acrylic mat. Seem to be good for now. Time of coarse will tell.

                Ron
                <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/jrt9750/myhomepage/index.html">Visit Ron's
                Art Page</A>
              • John & Kinga Britschgi
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
                  Hey, hi Kerri....

                  Kinga Britschgi
                  collagepainter and blockprinter
                  maci@...
                  http://victorian.fortunecity.com/gauguin/365/

                  >I heard that wheat paste can attract bugs. Is this true? Also, I have been
                  using
                  >Mod Podge (matte) in my collages and I really like my results and it's
                  seems much
                  >cheaper than matte medium. Has anyone had any experience with Mod Podge or
                  know
                  >how it holds up?

                • sj navage
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2001

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                      I'm not sure if I understand the question, but I also don't know the answer
                      either. I have either used it to adhere two pieces together that the edges
                      matched or were cut to match or as part of a collage where there were
                      several layers and that took care of the messy part? When I leanered to use
                      it in Malaysia as part of a restoration and mounting course for Chinese
                      brush paintings we started in the center and painted out, because the
                      moisture in the moisture stretches the paper and brushing in event stroke
                      from the center moving out and to the 4 corners made a consistent stretch.
                      I does dry clear and matt finish and is resoluble with water..you can soak
                      it loose.
                      hope this helps some cheers

                      come see my art at:
                      http://sites.netscape.net/navageco/homepage

                      see my studio at channel 9:
                      http://www.justoriginals.com/index_tv.html

                      > When you use the wheat paste, does it dry without a In trace or does it
                      > leave a slight residue. In other words, if you are a bit sloppy, can it
                      be
                      > seen?
                      >
                      > Thanks . Gammy

                      > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
                      > Apply NOW!

                    • sj navage
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                        I don't know if the bugs are out enforce with megaphones advertising the
                        wheat paste..but if you have them in your house(or where your art is
                        hanging) they will get in and eat the wheat paste...they will also get into
                        other art work to eat paper? I've chased them out of photos etc. I matt and
                        frame pretty tight, but they seem to fine their way in and not out
                        sometimes..no damage ever, always dead?