Re: QUESTION TO COLLAGE ARTISTS

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi,
      I really love the way one question opens the door to some many great
      ideas.

      Cecil,
      You ask about the galleries and why we are not in them. At this
      point I'm into sell the work and making some money from that. And
      it is happening, not as fast as I would like it but... I do Outdoor
      art fairs with my collage work, I'm fortunate to live in an area
      (Chicago/Western Suburbs) where there is a show almost every weekend
      in the warmer seasons. I'm also connected with the Chicago Artist
      Coalition and the opportunities are amazing. It takes a lot of work
      though to martket yourself and be prepared. I have not stepped into
      the Gallery scene as of yet. But each year I set a goal for myself
      and work towards that. I feel that I have a couple more years doing
      the fairs and then work towards the galleries. There seems to be a
      whole different way to present/market yourself for a gallery. And
      it's that Artists Packet, slide at less 20 of them, articles about
      yourself, resume, bio, artist statement, imagery of your work. I
      have alot of this already set up but the sending of the slides and
      having them tyed up for months to a year. It's very costly.

      I think the reason that I've been holding back the most is the
      control. I feel that I'm the boss now of my little self-employeed
      busniess and I'm doing pretty good. And to hand that over and let
      someone direct the show is a not something I'm willing to do just
      yet. I really like though the idea of working toward this.

      Also I know I need more work at polishing up the presentation of the
      work so it will takes sometime and courage and that will have to be
      goal for me in next a couple years. (I do have a gallery in New
      Hampshire that is interested, at this time though my work will be
      tyed up till after the first of the year. It's the next step in my
      career)
      Here is a question to add to that or maybe it's an excuse. Is it a
      little tougher for a women to make the jump if she is managing the
      homestead, raising a family, work a part time job and creating and
      showing her work? I need a wife to help me keep it all straight.
      Oh heck I'm a wife, artist, homemaker, cleaning lady, nurse, and
      whatever fits in. But really I wouldn't trade my jobs and life for
      anything else.

      Thanks again for asking the questions It's always go to be aware and
      working towards some goal, it keeps you moving slow but sure.

      peace to all
      ~v~Laura
      lonecrow4@...
      http://www.lauralein-svencner.com
      http://www.lonecrowart.blogspot.com
      http://caconline.org/galleries.asp
    • Bobbi Chukran
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
        > Hi, I am gathering info for an upcoming article. Here is my premise. The
        >majority of working artists are not represented by commercial art
        >galleries.

        Just another thought to add to what I said earlier....Another reason
        I avoid galleries is that I love selling my work directly to the
        customer, the end-user. Some galleries are so cold and impersonal.
        And I think buyers appreciate getting to know the artist, too.

        Bobbi C.
      • cat botch
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
          Cecil Touchon <touchon@...> wrote: Hi, I am gathering info for an upcoming article. Here is my premise.

          .

          HI
          I do exhibit in juried shows. Tried several times to get represented. When I take several samples of work in, they are upset because I do collage, paintings, murals, portraits, mixed media, computer painting and textile fine art. They have told me I'm doing too many things and can't be remembered for one approach. When one or two pieces are brought in, they have priced them as quality work. My work does have an identifiable style in each media.

          I come from a teaching background, so I know a wide variety of techniques and materials. When I get an idea it comes with method to produce - like picking the right brush. This choice will give me the best chance of an outcome to match what is in my head! This is the way I think and approach for success. It doesn't turn off! I believe people should sample, be adventurous and in turn learn and grow as individuals. I don't like the idea of being trapped in a box, either. To Galleries this means I am not sale-able with my total body of work.

          One owner showed me an artist's work in various media that was 356 variations of the same design and 3 elements as an example of what to do. This to me would be boring and also saying I can do it better by never thinking it is good enough. He called it his "signature"

          I have asked them if they would have turned away many other notable artist because they work a variety of solutions, noting I'm not comparing myself to them but would they have given them a start? I usually get a wise ass remark.

          So I sell privately and through showcases and shows since I am not rich enough to hire an agent.

          (My web sights are below if you would like to check them out.)

          Cathy Botch

          http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/c/catbotch www.geocities.com/catbotch

        • cmcclure
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
            Cathy...........I suggest you only market one kind of work to a gallery at a time. If you have other styles/mediums, then send them out to a different gallery. Just bite your tongue and concentrate on only one style while approaching that gallery for representation. All artists need to experiment and have fun with their work. Most of us don't like to be told what to do.......BUT looking at it from the gallery perspective is that they want to know an artist can do something up to the same quality over and over and have a certain signature for promoting that artist's work. They have to sell to stay open...they may love art but that won't pay their bills. It's not that you can't keep evolving, you just must be careful to go slowly when changing at the same gallery. Other galleries may love the other work you do, so just show them what they are interested in.
            Over the years I've used a lot of different mediums, finally settling on two.......collage and painting. Sometimes now I just combine the whole thing into mixed media.
            Oh yeah...........after you have a good relationship with a gallery and they've had good sales with your work, you can slowly introduce new work to them and see how it goes. I had one gallery mostly asking for my paintings......then when I had a show, they mostly sold the mixed media pieces.

            Cheryl...no expert and also needing a new gallery
            http://www.cherylmcclure.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 6, 2006
              I wish I could give you a pat answer to this. I've had three solo
              art exhibitions (not in galleries) and I had no problem approaching
              the venue and being agressive in setting up my own exhibits. But
              when it comes to approaching galleries, I don't seem to be
              motivated.

              I have a list of galleries located in Los Angeles in my mailing list
              database. I've sent out maybe 2-3 slide packages. I've read lots
              of negative things about galleries when it comes to ethical business
              dealings. So is that what's stopping me? Don't know. I don't go
              to many galleries myself. There is one near my house that has
              opening receptions which I attend occasionally. I don't know anyone
              in my circle of friends who has purchased art in a gallery.

              I would very much like to sell my collages but it has taken me a
              long time trying to figure out a reasonable price. I think I want
              lots more money for my work then people are willing to pay.

              I'll be participating in an art auction later this month where the
              artist gets to keep 50% of the selling price and the bidding starts
              at $100.00. So it should be interesting.

              Sorry to be so vague..

              Kristine Kadlec
              http://www.kristinekadlec.com/
            • Gina
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 6, 2006
                when i first began exhibiting 8 years ago i did so every year as solo
                exhibitions and about 2 group shows a year and two juried shows.

                I did this for 5 years the last being in 2001. i won prizes each year,
                sold a lot of paintings and enjoyed the process muchly. the first half
                of this experience was part of a co-op where you purchased two weekly
                blocks in teh gallery and did everything yourself - printing invites,
                framing, being in the gallery during the exhibition, meeting the public
                and selling. THIS was the most successful in my experience. The
                co-op closed down as these things do and the next two years i did the
                local galleries - sold less and felt like a fish out of water ... and
                i never did 'work' up a following

                the co-op had a life of its own that nurtured artists - 70 artists -
                many who became friends and were very supportive and helpful - and
                their families; constant exhibitions at a space in this small city with
                top notch aritsts had the public going through constantly as well as
                interest from collectors and one or two institutions with media
                attention fortnightly.

                i am seriously out of the 'art' loop now which seems to have shifted to
                the university with a different atmosphere that is non inclusive.

                i had hoped to sell my work from the internet but have no idea how to
                go about it. ideally i would love an agent ! marketing, sales,
                galleries take so much time and all one wishes to do is paint.

                GINA
                http://fynearts.blogspirit.com/

                http://fyneartscollageaday2.blogspot.com/

                http://www.arts.tas.gov.au/grants/program/residencies/gorge_cottage.htm
              • Heather Dever
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 18, 2006
                  Hi Cecil, this is kind of a late reply to your
                  question about why we do/don't use galleries, hope
                  you're still interested. I'm new to this group. I've
                  been collaging for over 15 years (about half my life).
                  I originally started to have things I liked to put up
                  in my room :-) and it turned into an important means
                  of expression for me. I did one solo exhibit in
                  college (I was a math major, actually), but I haven't
                  done anything since. I do make about 10-15 collages a
                  year. I know my work isn't copyright legal, and for a
                  long time I didn't really care, since it was only for
                  myself and my friends, but one reason I joined this
                  group was to figure out what's actually done compared
                  to what's strictly legal. I've read up on this on
                  funnystrange.com and looked around, and I know if I
                  want to put my work out there publically, I'll have to
                  change my approach. But I'm still thinking that
                  through (ie, if I even want to). And now you all are
                  scaring me about the big crazy artworld.

                  Someone else mentioned that none of their friends buy
                  art in a gallery, and that's true for me too. That's
                  maybe one reason I'm leery of the whole art scene.

                  Sorry to ramble, guys, I'll stop now. If you're
                  interested, I'll try to put up some of my shockingly
                  (ha ha) illegal art on my husband's website.

                  Heather

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Cecil Touchon
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 18, 2006
                    I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions about
                    being represented in commercial galleries. Indeed it seems rather bleak
                    seen in the context of working in the established gallery system now in
                    place. Another artist that runs a university gallery at UTA in Arlington
                    Texas told me that art as a profession has a 95% failure rate in terms
                    of college graduates still working in the field of art 10 years after
                    graduation. It is an interesting subject and, while most of the answers
                    given by most artists are within the scope of what I suspected, I am
                    still amazed by the range of answers. It begs the question; what, then,
                    goes on with the group of artists who seem to be able to get in the
                    museum circuit. There seem to be a group of artists who have exhibitions
                    not only in galleries but also have shows constantly in this or that
                    museum all over the country while almost everyone else does not have a
                    show even in a local museum much less on a circuit. When I have asked
                    around in the gallery community, the gallery dealers seem to be
                    bamfoozled by that question as well and have no idea how going from
                    exhibiting in galleries to exhibiting in museums happens.

                    Anyone who has any insight on that subject is welcomed to tell what they
                    know. As far as one can see from the outside it is a closed and closely
                    guarded world of which none in the know seem to speak. Or maybe no one
                    ever asks? Of course there are the lower level community art centers,
                    university galleries and other venues where art collecting is not going
                    on and the thrust is in acquiring grant money for exhibitions. That
                    might be seen as a kind of introductory level where more experimental
                    and ephemeral artworks are more likely to be shown.

                    Again, thank you. I will contemplate all of this for my article.
                    Cecil
                    http://collagemuseum.com
                  • Hepshiba
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 18, 2006
                      Have you talked to the Guerrilla Girls organization in New York?
                      They've made an extensive study of how women artists (don't) get into
                      museums and I think they have a pretty good understanding of the issue.

                      Best,
                      Kali Tal

                    • cmcclure
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 19, 2006
                        Cecil..........on the how do you get work and shows in museums issue? I've always wondered myself. I live in a small town with a nice little art museum. I first saw your work there when I worked and volunteered there. Long ago, without actually knowing I was doing this, I figured out that it's just a small world out there in the art world. Regionally, all the directors of highly thought of contemporary galleries, art centers, museums, university galleries, etc are all in a network of "friends". They help and pat each other on the back by showing the work of "their" artists. That's just the way it seems to me.....and of course, there are some that are more objective than this. That's just my opinion. So, you have to get out and network.....of course, you also have to have the kind of work that is suitable for the museum, art center, etc. That. at least, varies from place to place. Anyway, I think that after a time of becoming "known" regionally, you branch out farther and farther into national shows. Another thing, I don't have..........a degree from one of the respected colleges or regional universities. It can help get the foot in the door as well since you make friends along the way with others who may be able to help you.

                        My own museum has changed regularly as the directors change........sometimes some of us have been downright embarrassed by some of the work that is shown at times.

                        Cheryl...........all this coming from a person who is least recognized....the home town artist.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 19, 2006
                          > I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions about
                          > being represented in commercial galleries. Indeed it seems rather bleak
                          > seen in the context of working in the established gallery system now in
                          > place.

                          Cecil,

                          I'm glad you're asking these questions! One thing I know is that the
                          universities are NOT preparing art school grads for the "real" world
                          as an artist. I graduated from UT Austin in '81....I was told that I
                          had a few choices....either go on to get my Master's and teach
                          somewhere (I was warned that I'd have to go out of state, because
                          they didn't want locals teaching there because it would be
                          "incestual") OR teach art at the elementary school level. I didn't
                          do either of those, and struggled for years trying to make it by
                          selling at small local shows, in little co-ops, gift shops, and small
                          "galleries."

                          I wanted to be a freelance designer, but nobody could tell me much
                          about that, or even how to go about finding out.

                          A few years ago, I was involved with an online painting group. I
                          asked the question about entering juried shows..was it worth it?
                          Most members told me that it was not worth it as far as getting
                          sales.....that it was expensive, and a long shot, basically.

                          I though that having a website and being online might lead to
                          opportunities, but so far, that hasn't happened, either (I've been
                          online for over ten years). I'm in the process of changing from
                          painting to printmaking, which I've been told is a little easier to
                          "get things happening" in.....I doubt that, but it's either that, or
                          quit trying to sell my art all together.

                          Bobbi C.
                          http://www.bobbichukran.com
                        • Cecil Touchon
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 19, 2006
                            No, but I am sure that the same is true of almost all men as well. A
                            fact women seem to overlook for some reason.
                            But I'll check them out.
                            Cecil

                            Hepshiba wrote:

                            > Have you talked to the Guerrilla Girls organization in New York?
                            > They've made an extensive study of how women artists (don't) get into
                            > museums and I think they have a pretty good understanding of the issue.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            > Kali Tal

                            "Man is an apparatus through which the Divine may contemplate Itself." Cecil Touchon

                          • Kathryn Sorci
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 19, 2006
                              Hi Cecil,
                              Although I live in rural Arizona, I have been able to do juried shows
                              as well as our local museum.
                              I was elected as our local art guild president a few years back and
                              found that the AZ museums were going to have a conference/convention
                              here. Our guild hosted many aspects of the conference from decorating
                              their dinner tables, creating silent auction pieces, to putting on an
                              art show at the hotel and our local museum. Getting to meet members
                              and higher ups of many of the state museums, and doing something nice
                              for them while they were here, gave us an opportunity to open a
                              dialogue. The local museum also gave us our own small space since, to
                              exhibit and change monthly. This may be a starting point for others
                              in the group. Our state level, AZ Commission for the Arts, sends out
                              a newsletter as to what is going on, as well as lists artists
                              statewide. Another way of networking, that I have found was
                              volunteering to find jurors for the local art shows here, from the
                              Commission, art galleries within the museums, and schools of art. As
                              president, I would find them a place to stay overnight, take them to
                              dinner and find out about how to go about exhibiting in many other
                              places. They love to share their experiences, and it becomes a win-
                              win situation, while making new friends in the business of art.
                              Kate

                            • info@nationalcollage.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 22, 2006
                                Most of the artists on a "museum circuit" are dead. Group exhibits are
                                different. The National Collage Society has an exhibit at the Berman Museum
                                near Philadelphia this month and we have scheduled future shows three years
                                in advance. A group must be well established with color catalogs,
                                brochures, art critic reviews (from large city newspapers), books and
                                previous exhibits in museums.
                                There is not very much opportunity to leap from a gallery into a museum.
                                When you ask gallery owners about this subject, they do not have enough
                                experience with museums because their main focus is commercial.
                                The best place to start is at a prestigious University art gallery and
                                emphasize your educational opportunities for the public.
                                Gretchen
                                www.nationalcollage.com

                                >I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions about
                                > being represented in commercial galleries. Indeed it seems rather bleak
                                > seen in the context of working in the established gallery system now in
                                > place. Another artist that runs a university gallery at UTA in Arlington
                                > Texas told me that art as a profession has a 95% failure rate in terms
                                > of college graduates still working in the field of art 10 years after
                                > graduation. It is an interesting subject and, while most of the answers
                                > given by most artists are within the scope of what I suspected, I am
                                > still amazed by the range of answers. It begs the question; what, then,
                                > goes on with the group of artists who seem to be able to get in the
                                > museum circuit. There seem to be a group of artists who have exhibitions
                                > not only in galleries but also have shows constantly in this or that
                                > museum all over the country while almost everyone else does not have a
                                > show even in a local museum much less on a circuit. When I have asked
                                > around in the gallery community, the gallery dealers seem to be
                                > bamfoozled by that question as well and have no idea how going from
                                > exhibiting in galleries to exhibiting in museums happens.
                                >
                                > Anyone who has any insight on that subject is welcomed to tell what they
                                > know. As far as one can see from the outside it is a closed and closely
                                > guarded world of which none in the know seem to speak. Or maybe no one
                                > ever asks? Of course there are the lower level community art centers,
                                > university galleries and other venues where art collecting is not going
                                > on and the thrust is in acquiring grant money for exhibitions. That
                                > might be seen as a kind of introductory level where more experimental
                                > and ephemeral artworks are more likely to be shown.
                                >
                                > Again, thank you. I will contemplate all of this for my article.
                                > Cecil
                                > http://collagemuseum.com

                                > NEXT COLLAGE WORKSHOP IN MEXICO - ARRIVE: SUNDAY NOV. 19 - DEPART:
                                > SATERDAY NOV. 25, 2006 http://collagemuseum.com/cuernavaca-workshops.htm

                              • Cecil Touchon
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 22, 2006
                                  Museums seem to me to be the very height of comodification and thus the standard of commercialism that galleries follow. When I say artist on the museum curcuit I am thinking of plenty of living people that have exhibitions curculating around the country and the world. People like Richard Tuttle, Sean Sculley come to mind and many others who have large one person exhibitions traveling around museum to museum. Commercialism at its finest.
                                  Cecil

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 22, 2006
                                    Yes...and in every region there will be plenty of artists who appear in all the "collective invitationals" at all the art centers and small museums. Most of us wonder how they seem to always be in all these shows....and most of them are also in some of the really good galleries. So their gallery directors must be making contacts or connections somewhere with curators of art centers and small museums. It's really a small world out there. And yes, I would say the university galleries are a good place to do some of this networking although I doubt if any of that work sells while it's up. So ...how can you afford to be showing work like this all the time and have work to put in a gallery.........???

                                    Cheryl