Re: [collage museum] Spamming revenge - I had to chuckle when I read this in the paper today

  • papagodesign
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      I loved this story of a spambuster spamming some woodcarvings out of not so innocent Nigerians.
      Remember it when next you get approached in this way.

      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html?from=top5

      cheers
      Sabine

    • Hepshiba
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        Unless the artists were in on the scam (unlikely) they were probably
        not paid by the scammers either, but promised payment upon receipt.
        The idea that getting something free from "Nigerians" is okay because
        a couple of Nigerians are running a scam is highly questionable to
        say the least. Many of us do work on commission and could be taken
        advantage of by dishonest Americans; it happens all the time, in
        fact. The person who carved those objects put work and time into
        them, just as we put work and time into our artwork. The way to
        respond to dishonesty is not to provoke more dishonesty, because you
        never know what innocent could be hurt.

        Kali

        On Jul 2, 2006, at 12:50 AM, papagodesign wrote:

        > I loved this story of a spambuster spamming some woodcarvings out
        > of not so innocent Nigerians.
        > Remember it when next you get approached in this way.
        >
        > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html?
        > from=top5
        >
        > cheers
        > Sabine

      • Loel Barr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
          I can't help but think of the poor artist who created the carvings; I
          doubt if he got a cent for his efforts, and he wasn't the spammer.
          On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:50 AM, papagodesign wrote:

          > I loved this story of a spambuster spamming some woodcarvings out
          > of not so innocent Nigerians.
          > Remember it when next you get approached in this way.
          >
          > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html?
          > from=top5
          >
          > cheers
          > Sabine

          > .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
          > COLLAGE MUSEUM NEW PROJECTS NEWSLETTER
          > A New Projects Announcement List
          > get monthly reminders about upcoming Baker's Dozen Exchange
          > deadlines and other upcoming museum events, news, workshops,
          > collage museum website
          > updates, monthly digest of tips and techniques, special offers, etc.
          > please join this newly formed monthly newsletter type list.http://
          > groups.yahoo.com/group/collagemuseumprojects/

        • Karen Preston
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
            That is awesome!

            Karen
            On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:50 AM, papagodesign wrote:

            > I loved this story of a spambuster spamming some woodcarvings out of
            > not so innocent Nigerians.
            > Remember it when next you get approached in this way.
            >
            > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/29/1151174322991.html?
            > from=top5
            >
            > cheers
            > Sabine

          • papagodesign
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
              I totally agree with all of you on issues of dishonesty, however having grown up in Africa, I think I can assume the artist got paid.
              I cannot imagine someone in Africa parting with their work without payment. The "on commission " trading is not something people living at subsistence level can afford to do. We forget that people are paid so little for their effort in most of the world compared by our standards and that most of the money is pocketed by middle men. This happens in Africa, Australia , Asia and elsewhere. We should never look at anything from our perspective alone.
              African crooks scamming westerners would not necessarily cheat their own brothers out of an income, just like they prefer ripping of tourists to their own people.
              We also forget, that people living in these countries are far less naive than we are when it comes to trusting a deal. Only because so many westerners are so jolly gullible do they fall for such ridiculous scams.
              I have left work in galleries on commission, they lost some of my work and I was paid. However if it was my bread and butter I would have chosen to sell it myself from a market stall.
              Cheers
              Sabine