Re: [collage museum] Jonathan Talbot's Patrin series

  • Nancy Bell Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      my favorite of talbot's patrin series is "optique."

      having said that working on large canvas in collage is disconcerting to
      me, that i prefer small and intimate, bobbi you remind me that i've
      also found too small (if anything can be too small or too large)
      disconcerting, in a different way, and i'll be interested to see your
      3x4"s if you can post them. the smallest i've worked is 4x4" -- twice
      -- and i was so frustrated and claustrophobic that i wanted to throw
      the things out the window. i believe in "small is beautiful," but i
      don't know about tiny! that size felt smaller than book or literary,
      making me think i wanted to work toward some kind of literal size in
      image. but that must be a subjective judgment, every time. (this is
      reminding me of a funny picasso incident that i can't quite remember at
      the moment. later.)

      10x10" and 12x12" are good "compromise" dimensions for me, although
      lately 6x8" is the most comfortable, maybe because it's very like the
      size of many antique books, even though in the end some of my works at
      that size have nothing obvious (or subtle for that matter) to do with
      books. these days they're winding up abstract architectural.

      i think your inspiration to do a 3x4" series is great, though. this
      whole discussion has had me wanting to push in one direction or the
      other, and not get stuck in a certain range just because it's
      comfortable.

      nancy

      On Nov 30, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Bobbi Chukran wrote:

      > >A message for Bobbi and others who were interested in the scale of
      > >Jonathan Talbot's "Patrin" series.  I've just got this from Jonathan:
      > >
      > >Please tell them that the littlest ones are 3" x 3" and the largest
      > ones
      > >are 40" x 40".>
      >
      > Message received!  thanks, dale.  My inquiring mind is at peace now.
      > Love the ones on your site, too.
      >
      > I'm inspired, and bought some tiny pre-cut mats today for a new small
      > series.....very small, like 3x4".
      >
      > Bobbi C.

    • Bobbi Chukran
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        hi nancy!

        >having said that working on large canvas in collage is disconcerting to
        >me, that i prefer small and intimate, bobbi you remind me that i've
        >also found too small (if anything can be too small or too large)
        >disconcerting, in a different way, and i'll be interested to see your
        >3x4"s if you can post them. >

        I will, as soon as they're finished. I've been playing around with a
        lot of different sizes lately. This started when a friend challenged
        me to do some truly miniature paintings. I did one very small, then
        a series of 'art cards' and one abstract collage that believe it or
        not is 1.25" x 1.75"!! That's TOO small to work in permanently--my
        eyes can't take it! <grin>

        A friend (printmaker and large scale painter) has been telling me for
        years that I need to go bigger with my art. This works for straight
        abstract paintings, but I've found that with the collages, I am more
        comfortable with smaller because I can't seem to fill up the space
        without getting too cluttered.

        Yesterday I also bought some 6x8" canvas boards to try, a new size
        for me since it's not standard. And another reason--I find it much
        harder to "fill up" the space on the larger collages. I'm working on
        that. Another change for me is working in a square format, which I
        love! Wish there were more stock square frames around.....

        >i think your inspiration to do a 3x4" series is great, though. this
        >whole discussion has had me wanting to push in one direction or the
        >other, and not get stuck in a certain range just because it's
        >comfortable.

        Right. Hmm....then I probably need to work on some larger pieces,
        too. That feels more uncomfortable to me than the small ones.

        Bobbi C.
        http://www.bobbichukran.com