How can a "starving artist" help

  • James Michael Starr
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      With limited resources and trying to think of something significant I
      could do to extend aid to victims of Katrina, I've thought of one
      hare-brained idea. I'm confident that, if it has major weaknesses you
      all will help me identify them. But, if it's a halfway decent idea, you
      might also help me figure out how I, and possibly you on your own,
      could make it work.

      My wife and I have donated a tiny amount of cash and are considering
      the possibility of taking a couple or small family into our home (we
      live in Dallas), but my thoughts then go to what broader help I am
      particularly qualified to offer.

      I expect that many of the evacuees probably feel isolated, discouraged
      and possibly even hopeless, and that these feelings may continue or
      magnify even after they've been fed and sheltered. Psychological aid –
      the realization that more people than they may know are concerned for
      their well-being (they're not sitting around watching CNN like so many
      of us), and the restoration of hope – might be the most significant
      thing that, as an artist, I could help bring about. So I am at this
      moment thinking of how I might do some mail art, as many pieces as
      possible in a short amount of time, to send them.

      The first obstacle that comes to mind is whether anything would even
      get through to them. I doubt the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or any
      other relief organization that's sheltering and assisting these people
      would take the risk of handing to an evacuee an envelope sent by an
      anonymous individual.

      But I have the feeling that a post card, which is also the simplest and
      cheapest canvas I could choose, would not be held up. And I also assume
      that cards sent to any of the many evacuation centers in several Texas
      cities – Houston's Astrodome or Dallas' Reunion Arena for instance –
      could find their way into SOMEONE'S hands even without a specific name
      in the address. Admittedly, this is all specualtion, and I have yet to
      research it in any detail. That's my next step.

      Your ideas, experiences and even criticisms would be welcomed.

      –– James Michael
    • Krishanna: Altered Artist
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hi James-

        Great idea! The only thought I have is to put the word out among artists
        and have the post cards sent to you. You could then send them or take them
        to the Red Cross or other such charity for distribution. They could also be
        sent directly to the area shelter.

        Bright Blessings-

        Krishanna

        Krishanna Spencer, The Altered Artist

        Creating Art That Doesn't Match Your Sofa

        Site: www.alteredartist.com

        Blog: www.alteredartist.blogs.com

[...]

        .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
        NEXT COLLAGE EXCHANGE DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 1, 05 SEE DETAILS:
        http://collagemuseum.com/collage-exchange-index.html
        HTTP://collagemuseum.com/cuernavaca-workshops.htm
        COPYRIGHT INFORMATION FOR COLLAGE ARTISTS
        http://collagemuseum.com/faq-copyright.html
        -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
        TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS GROUP SEND A BLANK EMAIL TO:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Maria_Avila
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
          I am ready to help, sending a postal card or a oil painting that could be sold and give some help . Just let me know the address I have to send it.
          Good idea.
          Maria Avila

          http://mariaavila.com/
          http://outofsight.co.nz/Bakers7/default.htm
          http://collagemuseum.com/acquisitions/index.html
          http://collagemuseum.com/collage-exchange-index.html

        • Otter
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
            just send money to the red cross.

            --- Maria_Avila <mariaavilabr@...> wrote:

            > I am ready to help, sending a postal card or a oil
            > painting that could be sold and give some help .
            > Just let me know the address I have to send it.
            > Good idea.
            > Maria Avila
            >

            > http://mariaavila.com/
            > http://outofsight.co.nz/Bakers7/default.htm
            > http://collagemuseum.com/acquisitions/index.html
            > http://collagemuseum.com/collage-exchange-index.html

            > removed]

            A wise Shaman once said " Man's survival depends on three things: the merging of technology and nature, science and religion and idea and dance." The trinity is now with us: let us embrace it.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • emalcohn@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
              Hi, James (et al.) --

              I think Krishanna's idea is sound -- I imagine the various shelters are dealing with a logistical nightmare as is, trying to find room for clothing, diapers, medicines, etc. That said, I also see the need for expression that goes beyond bare necessity -- something higher up in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, as it were.

              Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about here. *But* -- having had no experience with eBay or similar online outfits, I wonder if something like a collective online art auction/fundraiser might be arranged. If enough people donate artwork that can be sold with the funds going to help hurricane victims, and a large enough -- I suppose "broker" is the term? -- is willing to donate the bandwidth, publicity, etc. -- that might be another avenue.

              By way of introduction: I've lurked here on and off. I'm mainly a writer but have made and sold mixed-media art in addition to poetry and fiction. Most of my publications are from the 1980s. After years of multiple-shift work that deep-sixed my creativity for a while, I'm starting to get back in the groove.

              I recently picked up a low-end, $25-30 digital camera, and have been using "primitive" software like MS Paint and MS Photo Editor to do digital collages. Some folks think I use Photoshop, which I take to be a compliment. One of my recent pieces is at:
              http://hurricanecountry.blogspot.com/2005/09/tales-from-aquifer.html

              I show my own process at:
              http://hurricanecountry.blogspot.com/2005/09/pursuit-of-water-with-tutorial.html

              Please bear in mind that I'm a beginner here. I really have no idea what I'm doing -- just playin'.

              Thanks - Elissa
              http://home.earthlink.net/~emalcohn/index.html

            • lindistel04
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                I like the ideas being suggested here for a response to help.

                Here's a link to a website with some information about being organized
                in our own art communities. Alyson Stanfield, www.artbizcoach.com
                spent the weekend putting together some helpful guidelines.

                It's a very organized package:

                http://www.artbizconnection.com/artistshelping/

                Linda Distel
                www.lindadistel.com
              • lindistel04
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                  In the body of the Alyson Stanfield website is another website for
                  artists to work through:

                  http://www.theatre.lsu.edu/Hurricanerelief/Front.htm

                  There is information on here about what is currently being organized,
                  and listing of those who can physically house or help local artists.
                • Krishanna: Altered Artist
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                    Let it be said the Mail Art was not my idea! I just think it would be nice
                    to let people know other people in the world of thinking of them and sending
                    good wishes. The idea was Micheal's.

                    Certainly throwing money at the situation is key right now, no matter how
                    small the increment. However, also addressing the emotional needs of people
                    is also a good idea and art can certainly touch lives in that way.

                    Perhaps Vicki's friend could be of some help- even if it's taking cards and
                    pinning them to the bulletin boards.

                    Kris