Re: [collage museum] Re: How do you prevent magazine collage materials from yellowing and fading?

  • iuri kothe
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi,

      I use mostly National Geographic images from 1990 to 2005. The ones
      i've seen to sell here in Rio of before 1990 have already lost image
      quality. So what product should i pass over the image? Could you
      please show me the link to the product specification (i'm having a
      little trouble in translating these materials to portuguese and
      finding where to buy them here.)
      The collages i've framed are still fine (2 years old ones).
      iuri
      http://www.geocities.com/iurikothe
    • digital_peat
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        iuri,
        check out http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/protectu.php

        it is a paper discussing how to keep digital prints from fading, but i am assuming
        these ideas translate to magazine images too. There are also some links within the
        paper to product specifications of different varnishes to keep your images archival.

        i hope this helps.

        peter burr
        http://www.seadoggles.com/hooliganship/peterburr/puffy.html

        --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, iuri kothe <iurikothe@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I use mostly National Geographic images from 1990 to 2005. The ones
        > i've seen to sell here in Rio of before 1990 have already lost image
        > quality. So what product should i pass over the image? Could you
        > please show me the link to the product specification (i'm having a
        > little trouble in translating these materials to portuguese and
        > finding where to buy them here.)
        > The collages i've framed are still fine (2 years old ones).
        > iuri
        > http://www.geocities.com/iurikothe
      • chad henry
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
          Peter, you might consider making and using digital or
          laser copies of the original magazine photos, and
          using them instead of the originals. You can copy
          them onto acid-free paper. I know there's something
          satisfying about using the original materials, but if
          archivality (is that a word?) is a concern, consider
          working from copies, and in that way you can also use
          the original over and over again in other work.

          chad

          --- digital_peat <digital_peat@...> wrote:

          > Thanks everyone for your insight.
          > It seems that what I might need to do is switch to
          > only using GOLDEN media. the
          > liquitex and generic brand gloss mediums that i have
          > been using seem to be part of
          > the cause of my yellowing and fading. I also
          > discovered on GOLDEN's website that I
          > need to be using at least 4 coats of their UV
          > protectant varnishes for my work to be
          > considered "archival".
          >
          > I like to use a variety of magazine sources from
          > different eras so I dont really have the
          > luxury of only using high quality glossy magazine
          > papers or really old (end of their
          > drifting) imagery. a lot of the nicest images i
          > have found are from at least 20 years
          > ago, which i am sure is part of their fading
          > problems too. And I agree with Kate
          > about reusing the actual old pieces of paper . It
          > seems to feel right to actually use
          > the detrius itself to build new beautiful artworks.
          >
          > Oh, and just to give you a sense of what these
          > pieces look like that have been giving
          > me problems, check some of them out:

          http://www.seadoggles.com/hooliganship/peterburr/puffy.html

          > thanks again to all who have been helping. I am
          > still open to new suggestions if
          > anyone has any new advice to offer.
          >
          > Peter Burr
          >
          > --- In , "cmcclure" <cmcclure@s...> wrote:
          > > Yes......by coating the collage pieces on both
          > sides, you can prevent them
          > > from falling apart as they age more. I don't think
          > any of that helps fading,
          > > hence the UVLS final varnish to help that. Also,
          > sometimes people forget
          > > that everything is subject to fading and age, even
          > good artist colors. Some
          > > will fade more than others, especially if put in
          > direct light for any real
          > > length of time. This should all be taken into
          > consideration, but not so much
          > > that it keeps you from creating what you want to
          > create. If you sell, then
          > > it should be taken into consideration more, of
          > course. But I say do all you
          > > can to make sure your work will hold up and then
          > hope for the best.
          > > Cheryl
          > > http://www.cherylmcclure.com

          > > NEXT COLLAGE EXCHANGE DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 1, 05 SEE
          > DETAILS:
          > >
          > http://collagemuseum.com/collage-exchange-index.html
          > > NEXT COLLAGE INTENSIVE IN CUERNAVACA MEXICO
          > > Arrive Oct 5, 2005 - leave Oct. 15, 2005 (10
          > nights)

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com