Re: [coldwarcomms] AT&T Long Lines wall thermometer with safe-driving slogan

  • blitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
      Scary part is its calibrated to -50!

      At 22:55 3/8/2006, you wrote:
      >This wall thermometer with a safe-driving slogan is from the
      >historic Jackie Jones Mountain
      >microwave station, and is destined for display in the proposed
      >telecommunications museum:
      >http://long-lines.net/operations/thermometer.html .
      >
      >Albert
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dennis Sandow
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

        > Scary part is its calibrated to -50!

        Not surprising. The Eastern Area extended to the Canadian border in
        upstate New York and all the way to Northern Maine. It is logical
        that when the Eastern Area had these made up, they would handle the
        worst case.

        Weather stations along the whole length of that border from Massena to
        Fort Kent (but excluding nasty places like Mt. Washington, NH) all
        show record lows between -40 and -50 F.

        Eastern Area (White Plains) was renamed Northeast Area about 1965,
        when a new Area was created in Washington, DC. The new Area took the
        name "Eastern Area" along with responsibility for PA and DE from the
        "old" Eastern Area. So this thermometer pre-dates 1965.

        > At 22:55 3/8/2006, you wrote:
        > >This wall thermometer with a safe-driving slogan is from the
        > >historic Jackie Jones Mountain
        > >microwave station, and is destined for display in the proposed
        > >telecommunications museum:
        > >http://long-lines.net/operations/thermometer.html .
        > >
        > >Albert

      • blitz
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
          Oh I know, Im in upstate NY, and up near Watertown, it does indeed
          get down there. Its the area where the 10th Mountain Division of the
          Army trains, at Ft. Drum.
          I've deer hunted the Adirondack forest up there and camped out in
          -10F weather. Not Minnesota by a long shot, but pretty durn cold by
          any measure.