Re: [coldwarcomms] Cell Phones

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006

      > Regarding:
      >
      >> And note the unsubtle difference from the first generation of
      >> ""GETS"". Back then, there was hardware segregation at the
      >> circuit/facility level. FTS, born after JFK could not get dial
      >> tone during the Cuban Missile Crisis, had its own switches. It
      >> was only far later that the planners decided they get the same
      >> results with software control of the commercial gear.. for some
      >> value of "the same.."

      > This be interesting because cell phone networks hadn't even been
      > invented yet in the LBJ era. In fact, it was some two decades later
      > before Al Gore invented the internet. So how do it know?

      What do cell phones of all things have to do with my statement
      above? I'm talking moving from dedicated #5 X-BAR etc. to shared
      5ESS, etc.

    • Chris Ness
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:48 pm, Kenneth Coney wrote:
        > Actually Tesla, after inventing radio, the electric light (he was the
        > manager of Edison's lab and the tungsten was Tesla's doing), AC current,
        > bendix brakes, motors and other fun things described the cell phone
        > (calling it by the cumbersome name of "hand held personal wireless
        > communicator") in several early 1900 lectures as well as securing the
        > needed patents for printed circuit boards, computer chips, rechargable
        > batteries and the like. While he may not have ever secured the funding
        > he sought, his lectures and published papers do describe how good
        > switching technology would work.

        Sorry to burst your bubble. If Tesla really did describe cell phones ( and I
        have no doubt he did - you ought to see all the things in his papers!), this
        one he picked up from Jules Verne who beat him by almost 20 years.
      • Steve Kudlak
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          Yeah, this is pretty wild. Tesla came up with a lot of neat things. He was
          remarkably good at doing what others said could not be done. Like the AC
          motor. Howeverr one can't this to everything technicaly wonderful and
          sliced bread. A phrase which drives my housemate up the wall. I don't
          think he had anything to directly do with computer chips and cell phones I
          dopn't think he secured patents for those things. He did do lots and lots
          of nice things. Now he had lots of radio ideas and lots of ideas about how
          to use high voltage electricity to to lots of stuff. Reading his papers is
          a really neat experience.

          Have Fun,
          Sends Steve