AT&T Transmission and Radio Notes

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
      I recently bought a binder full of this bi-monthly AT&T Engineering Department publication, with the
      intention of scanning and posting them. I've just finished uploading the 15-page June 1966 issue,
      which is of interest because it includes organizational listings, showing the areas of
      responsibility within AT&T transmission engineering in that era, and the individuals managing them.
      Does anyone recognize any of those names? I noted A.S. (Al) May, who was the designer or
      co-designer of the KS-15676 horn-reflector antenna.

      Here are the URLs for the individual page images; I haven't yet added HTML code for navigation, so
      you'll have to manually change the page number in the URLs to view each page:

      Front cover:
      http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/66-Jun/FC.jpg

      page 1:
      http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/66-Jun/p001.jpg
      .
      ...thru
      .
      page 15:
      http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/66-Jun/p015.jpg
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2006
        Although my tenure in the General Departments was somewhat later than June
        1966 a number of the people were still there. I worked for and with a
        number of people whose names are mentioned in the publication.

        The people that I knew personally:

        Grant Ericson
        Jack Crawford
        Bill Keller
        Jim Roberson (Retired at Divestiture.
        Vince Sanservero (When he left the General Departments he returned to Long
        Lines in WP
        Al Taggi
        Phil Bodman
        Jim Kean
        Norm Adams - I worked for him for a short time when I first went to the
        General Departments

        _____

[...]

        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+computer&w1=Military+computer&
        w2=Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending
        &w6=Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=OeHEHWGt7XpeLWFMgmQ42Q> computer
        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+cases&w1=Military+computer&w2=
        Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending&w6
        =Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=Y0Jvm3qKqBiAYdA4NHgJuQ> cases
        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+cases&w1=Military+computer&w2=
        Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending&w6
        =Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=Y0Jvm3qKqBiAYdA4NHgJuQ> cases

        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+fastener&w1=Military+computer&
        w2=Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending
        &w6=Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=xJ4NMZB8qgtXK9M1in0msQ> fastener
        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+lending&w1=Military+computer&w
        2=Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending&
        w6=Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=_-WTUOuwXhe-k9H_RfATzg> lending
        Military
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Military+jewelry&w1=Military+computer&w
        2=Military+cases&w3=Military+cases&w4=Military+fastener&w5=Military+lending&
        w6=Military+jewelry&c=6&s=130&.sig=mu9v5lsaCzvMDK9UR--kfw> jewelry

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "coldwarcomms
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • s92187
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
          This publication was a successor to the publication "Radio Notes". I
          have a dozen or so issues of Radio Notes from the early '60s, it had
          detailed info on early microwave systems, among other things.

          I'd like to find more issues of Radio Notes from the '50s and '60s
          that I can borrow, scan, copy, etc. If anyone knows where I can find
          more issues of Radio Notes, please let me know.

          Terry Michaels

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
            A list member has generously volunteered to convert the scanned images of each issue into PDF
            documents, which I will post.

            Re the June 1966 issue:

            (1) I've added HTML coding for navigating through the individual pages. See:
            http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/66-Jun/FC.html

            (2) Several readers reported that the page 15 image was corrupt. I've reloaded the file and it now
            appears OK.

            (3) Also, some of you noticed an apparent missing page(s) between pages 2 and 3. I checked and
            found that, unfortunately, the page is missing from the original. The two sets of staple holes in
            the document suggest that it had been disassembled for copying, so the lost page has likely been
            resting for decades on the floor under an ancient Haloid photocopier in the basement of some former
            AT&T building.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
              Thanks to Steve Black, the June 1966 issue is now available as a PDF file:
              http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/66-Jun/66-Jun.pdf

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 19, 2006
                (1) I've posted a scan of the March 1969 issue of this Long Lines technical newsletter. Like the
                previous issues I've posted, it appears to be missing some pages:
                http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/69-Mar/FC.html

                (2) Stephen Black has contributed PDF conversions of the September and December 1968 issues:
                http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/68-Sep/68-Sep.pdf
                http://long-lines.net/sources/TRNotes/68-Dec/68-Dec.pdf

                (3) There was a mistake on the T&R Notes index page. If you clicked on the September 1968 link, you
                were actually taken to the June 1968 issue. That has been fixed.

                I apologize for taking so long to get this material posted.