Short Mountain AT&T site

  • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 1999
      Hi all (again)...

      Got my pics back today and have posted pictures of the AT&T site on
      Short Mountain, TN. The page is up, available at
      http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/att-shortmtn.html

      Check out the pic of the building - anyone ever seen a design like this
      before? It's odd - the tower sits just over top of the building, but
      does not rest on it.
      --
      Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 1999
        Matthew,

        That certainly is an unusual design - I've never seen one like it.

        Do you have any idea why it might have been built that way? It looks as
        though AT&T was trying to reduce the facility's footprint, but that would
        seem more likely in an urban area. Is the site so steep that carving out a
        level spot for a building adjacent to the tower might have been
        prohibitive?

        I'd think it would be a little more difficult to build under, rather than
        adjacent to, the tower. For example, roof penetrations for the waveguides
        would require more elaborate sealing against water than the usual side
        entries.

        The outhouse is interesting, too. A former AT&T engineer told me they were
        quite common. An acquaintance sent me a photo of one at an abandoned AT&T
        station in Arkansas. Bell System enginering at its best: an
        industrial-type light fixture outside, a commercial steel door, concrete
        floor slab, and even a grounding strap!

        ...Albert
      • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 1999
          Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > That certainly is an unusual design - I've never seen one like it.
          >
          > Do you have any idea why it might have been built that way? It looks as
          > though AT&T was trying to reduce the facility's footprint, but that would
          > seem more likely in an urban area. Is the site so steep that carving out a
          > level spot for a building adjacent to the tower might have been
          > prohibitive?

          Where the site is built is pretty steep - alongside the road they've
          carved out the slope and put a wall in. Why they built it here is a
          mystery to me... about 500 to 700 feet to the west is a level spot that
          hasn't been built yet and there's still plenty of other level spots on
          the mountain.

          > I'd think it would be a little more difficult to build under, rather than
          > adjacent to, the tower. For example, roof penetrations for the waveguides
          > would require more elaborate sealing against water than the usual side
          > entries.

          Not really... I've seen one of these. It has a metal plate raised up
          about 12-18 inches above the roof with 12 openings that have small
          plates bolted over each waveguide port. Waveguides come up through any
          of the openings and are joined on the plate to prevent leakage. Not to
          mention that the big problem would be water getting into the waveguide,
          not the building.

          Seems like reroofing the place would be a pain... it has a typical tar
          and gravel roof.

          > The outhouse is interesting, too. A former AT&T engineer told me they were
          > quite common. An acquaintance sent me a photo of one at an abandoned AT&T
          > station in Arkansas. Bell System enginering at its best: an
          > industrial-type light fixture outside, a commercial steel door, concrete
          > floor slab, and even a grounding strap!

          The one at the South Central Bell site near Chattanooga doesn't have a
          light (I guess at night you take a flashlight), or a steel door but it
          does have a little sink that catches rainwater... kinda interesting,
          actually. Certainly not the kind of place one would expect to find an
          outhouse.