Re: [coldwarcomms] L huts in NY

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005
      Theres an example of screwing up.......

      At least when i screw up, I do it well....

      Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:39 AM
      Subject: Re: [coldwarcomms] L huts in NY

      > Understand, as I have been pretty ill this trip, I will be
      > back up very soon. Hope your surgery goes well.

    • blitz
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005

        >Dunno, sri.
        >
        >Quick question though - is 2077 not the ATC
        >combination up here?
        >

        >Thanks
        >Blake

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005
          What do we know about the history of coast-to-coast TV?
          When was the first use?
          The first NATIONWIDE use?

          I'm thinking of the Army-McCarthy hearings as an early watershed,
          but I'm not sure.

        • Mark J. Cuccia
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005
            David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

            > What do we know about the history of coast-to-coast TV?
            > When was the first use?
            > The first NATIONWIDE use?
            >
            > I'm thinking of the Army-McCarthy hearings as an early watershed,
            > but I'm not sure.

            The final link of the coax cable and microwave (all owned by the Bell
            Telephone System, of course! :) to connect both the east and west coasts
            of the US, was sometime in late 1951.

            There were several innaugural events, including Edward R. Murrow's
            "See it Now" CBS-TV news mangazine/documentary... regarding the fact that
            television programming in the US could now be transmitted by the networks
            LIVE AND Nationwide, coast-to-coast! He would be in New York City, but
            showing live pics of the Brooklyn Bridge on one monitor screen in the
            Control Room, and another monitor screen showing the Golden Gate Bridge
            or Oakland Bay Bridge, also in the Control Room, simulataneously....

            Of course, with the different time-zones between the east and west coasts,
            many programs originated in New York or Chicago that really didn't have
            to be broadcast to the general public "live", would be kinescoped in
            Hollywood, filmed off a TV screen on 16-mm film, and then two or three
            hours later (after a "rush" developing job), played back for the local
            Los Angeles broadcast TV stations and fed up the west coast of that TV
            network (and southward to San Diego as well).

            While the coax and microwave network transmission system now being truly
            national in scope did allow Hollywood-based entertainment to be performed
            "live" in realtime to be fed eastward to the East Coast, Midwest and South
            Central and even Mountain states, since Hollywood and the West Coast was
            later due to the time-zone, many programs would be "re-performed" two or
            three hours later in Hollywood, specifically for the west coast delay,
            unless they desired to "kinescope" it (until videotape would become
            possible in the mid-to-late 1950s).

            BUT... with the success of "I Love Lucy" and Desilu's "pre" filming of
            episodes on 35-mm film, at old Hollywood movie studios, and other filmed
            programming becoming more popular, especially when the Motion Picture
            corporations began to establish filmed TV subsidiaries throughout the
            1950s, as well as the time-zone situations described above, it mostly meant
            that live nationwide coast-to-coast television in its "purest" sense was
            mostly used as such for national news and sports events, especially
            various Congressional Hearings on red influence during the Cold War.

            Mark J. Cuccia
            markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
            Lafayette LA

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                I would guess that early "coast to coast" links would have been very expensive to initiate and maintain, both in manpower and in bandwidth.

                Is there any information on the cost associated with these type of broadcasts? Was this something that LongLines would bill to the television network in one lump sum? And how willing was LongLines to initiate these links, since I'm assuming there wasn't an "always up" coast to coast video channel.

                > What do we know about the history of coast-to-coast TV?
                > When was the first use?
                > The first NATIONWIDE use?
                >
                > I'm thinking of the Army-McCarthy hearings as an early watershed,
                > but I'm not sure.

                The first coast-to-coast live telecast was President Truman's opening
                address to the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference in San Francisco on
                Spetember 4, 1951. Here are two contemporary articles about the event:
                http://long-lines.net/places-routes/1st_transcon_mw/CPT1151/06-07.html
                http://long-lines.net/places-routes/1st_transcon_mw/RTN-1151.html

                Edward R. Murrow's "See It Now" on CBS was the first *regularly-scheduled*
                nationwide network TV program, whose premiere on Nov. 18, 1951 included
                simultaneous live images of the Golden Gate and Brooklyn bridges to
                dramatize the potential of the new technology.

                A good article dealing with the issues of TV networking was published in the
                November 1947 issue of "Radio News" magazine. Note the author's conclusion
                that, at the time, the best means for distributing TV programming was -
                film!
                http://long-lines.net/documents/Radio_News_1147/f-cover.html

                ---------------------------------

              • Bill Luebkemann
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                  I believe AT&T only built this network because the TV networks were willing
                  to commit to a 20-year contract to use it. If it weren't for that, it might
                  not have ever been built.

                  Bill L.

                  > What do we know about the history of coast-to-coast TV?
                  > When was the first use?
                  > The first NATIONWIDE use?
                  >
                  > I'm thinking of the Army-McCarthy hearings as an early watershed,
                  > but I'm not sure.

                  The first coast-to-coast live telecast was President Truman's opening
                  address to the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference in San Francisco on
                  Spetember 4, 1951. Here are two contemporary articles about the event:
                  http://long-lines.net/places-routes/1st_transcon_mw/CPT1151/06-07.html
                  http://long-lines.net/places-routes/1st_transcon_mw/RTN-1151.html

                  Edward R. Murrow's "See It Now" on CBS was the first *regularly-scheduled*
                  nationwide network TV program, whose premiere on Nov. 18, 1951 included
                  simultaneous live images of the Golden Gate and Brooklyn bridges to
                  dramatize the potential of the new technology.

                  A good article dealing with the issues of TV networking was published in the
                  November 1947 issue of "Radio News" magazine. Note the author's conclusion
                  that, at the time, the best means for distributing TV programming was -
                  film!
                  http://long-lines.net/documents/Radio_News_1147/f-cover.html

                  ---------------------------------

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Doc
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                    I worked for a number of years in network and local broadcasting, with
                    emphasis on "remotes".

                    At ABCNY, we had a number of "always up" channels, such as ANWA and
                    ACWA, which were Wash to NY and NY to Wash. At one time they went
                    THROUGH the ABC affiliate in Phila, so Phila could feed in either
                    direction if needed. There was also the "Round Robin", which was a
                    loop from NY to PHL to WASH to CLE or PIT (I forget) to CHI to SYR and
                    back to NY. If Chicago wanted to feed anywhere on the loop, on
                    coordination with the NY Traffic office, the loop would be opened at
                    CHI, closed wherever it was open, and all on the RR got the feed.

                    The "coast to coast" network feeds were pretty much left up all the
                    time, as the were paid for on a monthly basis with minimum use charges.

                    "Special" circuits for sports or special events were built up out of
                    unused channels, or sometimes AT&T would re route message channels and
                    turn them over to video. THis got really expensive, as tthe
                    construction charges were quite high. The "Last Mile" usually cost a
                    pretty penny. Sometimes this was done with portable microwave systems
                    or existing cable (124 Ohm balanced). When we did 8 or 10 college
                    football games on a Saturday, building subnetworks, routing the games
                    through a tv station for commercial insertion and onto the subs,
                    things got pretty hairy. Many of the major AT&T stations had set ups
                    where they could fire multiple changes in a "salvo", otherwise we
                    might still be waiting for channels to come up. At ABCBY, we produced
                    a weekly 90 minute closed circuit broadcast to all switching stations,
                    subnet points, and the whole AT&T infrastructure going through the
                    Saturday schedule in excruciating detail.

                    The various Bell Systems had special mobile units equipped with
                    radios, dishes, supports, etc which they would use for restorarion or
                    for special events. For example, they used to set up over 20 special
                    links from the Johnson Space Center to Houston Toll for the early
                    space shots until fiber took over.

                    Ok back to pricing... I remember a show we used to do each year from
                    Abilene, TX, and still do. This involved building a microwave link
                    from the roof of the building (Raytheon KTR Portable stuff) across
                    town to a stub tower with a flyswatter. This was at the end of the NBC
                    feed to the local station. They then installed a microwave path back
                    to the nearest TD-2 en route to Sweetwater. At that TD-2 facility,
                    they would then take down message/voice channels on the backbone to
                    Dallas, then from Dallas over existing network facilities to the
                    stations who were carrying our show. As soon as their network show was
                    over, AT&T would switch us into that path, then just as soon as we
                    were off the air, they would get their networks back. And if we were
                    late, too bad. "We're a little late tonight, folks, goodn

                    This construct and setup plus time use charges used to set us back
                    about $40,000 (in 1970-80 dollars)and more. About 20 years ago we
                    began using satellites for transmission. Rental of a mobile uplink and
                    satellite time runs about $10,000 in current dollars. And we get
                    viewers all over CONUS to boot.

                    I do remember doing basketball games in the old arena in Waco, Texas.
                    There was a TD-2 repeater in the parking lot, and a 124 Ohm coax from
                    the tv truck site to the TD-2. There was a TV modulator/IF generator
                    in a package they shipped around. When it was time to set up, the
                    operator would call up on the order wire, go to one of the
                    transmission lines and pop out an existing radio, plug in the portable
                    unit, and the signal was headed for Dallas and distribution therefrom.
                    I remember watching him one time say ("OK, taking down circuit
                    ABC123", pulled the waveguide, then said an uncivil word and plugged
                    the waveguide back in REAL quick. Said on the order wire "Didn't you
                    say 123? OH - 132! Sorry 'bout 'dat!". He then pulled 132 and plugged
                    in the portable. Turned to me and said "Well, about 600 people just
                    got hung up on..."

                    I've posted 4 pix of some temporary gear in the Photos section. I am
                    told that the 2 dishes, the gray truck and the gear were part of the
                    setup which brought the video of the first H Bomb test back to LA. I
                    don't know whence the PacTel truck came.

                    -- Doc

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Rob Walker <rwalker653@y...> wrote:

                    > I would guess that early "coast to coast" links would have been very
                    expensive to initiate and maintain, both in manpower and in bandwidth.

                    > Is there any information on the cost associated with these type of
                    broadcasts? Was this something that LongLines would bill to the
                    television network in one lump sum? And how willing was LongLines to
                    initiate these links, since I'm assuming there wasn't an "always up"
                    coast to coast video channel.

                  • David I. Emery
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                      On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 05:41:42PM -0000, Doc wrote:
                      > I worked for a number of years in network and local broadcasting, with
                      > emphasis on "remotes".
                      >
                      > At ABCNY, we had a number of "always up" channels, such as ANWA and
                      > ACWA, which were Wash to NY and NY to Wash. At one time they went
                      > THROUGH the ABC affiliate in Phila, so Phila could feed in either
                      > direction if needed. There was also the "Round Robin", which was a
                      > loop from NY to PHL to WASH to CLE or PIT (I forget) to CHI to SYR and
                      > back to NY. If Chicago wanted to feed anywhere on the loop, on
                      > coordination with the NY Traffic office, the loop would be opened at
                      > CHI, closed wherever it was open, and all on the RR got the feed.

                      Back in the mid 70s (1975-76) I took a look at the various
                      microwave signals I could see from a hilltop in Somerville overlooking
                      Boston and one of the strongest was an ABC network feed in the 2 ghz
                      area (too long ago to remember exactly what frequency but it might have
                      been around 2150 mhz) which was relayed off the Prudential tower in
                      Boston's Back Bay.

                      As I remember it, there were three carriers up - I think links
                      in three different directions from the top of the building. One was
                      pretty obviously the feed out to the ABC affiliate (WCVB Chan 5) in
                      Needham, but the other two seemed to be links in a private microwave
                      circuit around NE. I never did bother to figure out the other ends
                      of those paths, but the Pru is a rather tall building so they could have
                      been 50-75 miles away or more. One suspects paths up to Portland Me
                      and maybe down to Providence RI at the least.

                      This all suggests to me that in addition to the leased AT&T
                      network video circuits ABC had private microwave networks for feeding
                      video in some areas. NE is pretty densely populated, so we would
                      have been a logical place for such a network I suppose.

                      I remember that during intervals when there was no programming
                      the ABC network video had a camera pointed at a white-board with crude
                      hand scrawled messages on it. All seemed very amateurish compared to
                      the fancy slates and graphics one routinely sees on modern network DVB-S
                      satellite feeds of network programming.

                      --
                      Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
                      'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                        "David I. Emery" <die at dieconsulting dot com> wrote:

                        (snip)

                        > I remember that during intervals when there was no programming
                        > the ABC network video had a camera pointed at a white-board with crude
                        > hand scrawled messages on it. All seemed very amateurish compared to
                        > the fancy slates and graphics one routinely sees on modern network DVB-S
                        > satellite feeds of network programming.

                        I collect old TV and old Radio shows -- I frequently purchase VHS (and
                        I'll soon be buying DVDs) from "Shokus Video" in Southern CA
                        (www.shokus.com) which distributes old TV shows usually with original
                        commericals, network logos (NBC peacocks, chimes, snakes; CBS "eye"; etc.
                        Network color promos tags, etc), and the like.

                        One program on tape from "Shokus" is a 1965 (B&W) episode of ABC-TV's
                        "Hollywood Palace" variety show. This was done pre-taped in Hollywood
                        (although the copy that Shokus Video has is a kinescope from the original
                        2" tape), and it appears to have been kinescoped well down the network
                        feed line, because the old-time 5-Kc audio bandwidth was QUITE INTENSE! :)

                        Anyhow, back in 1965 or so, ABC-TV's Saturday night prime-time only ran
                        for 3-hours, not 3-1/2 hours as it did on M-F nights (today most nights
                        the networks can only run 3-hours, since the early 1970s). Anyhow, ABC-TV
                        chose to air prime-time from 7:30-10:30pm Eastern/Pacific, 6:30-9:30pm
                        Central. Most local stations probably ran their final local news at
                        11pm (Eastern/Pacific), 10pm Central. But with ABC signing-off prime-time
                        at 10:30pm E/P (9:30pm C), this gave the locals an extra half-hour of local
                        programming if they wanted to do local news earlier than their CBS or NBC
                        conterpart affil's, or they could still have head-to-head news with the
                        competition at 11pm E/P (10pm C).

                        What ABC-TV from NYC would do in that "extra half hour" was to send
                        closed cct news-film clips of national/international interest for the
                        locals to tape (or kinescope) to run during their local (upcoming) 11pm
                        (10pm Central) newscasts...

                        In that episode of Hollywood Palace (which ran from :30 to :30, but I
                        forget which hours in the evening), at the "mid-break" for local station-ID
                        at the top of the hour, the announcer in NYC came on promo'ing the ABC
                        Sunday Night feature the following night (with a slide card of the movie
                        to be run, with the ABC logo in that slide card), and then there was 62
                        seconds for a station break, until "Hollywood Palace" resumed for its
                        second half.

                        About five seconds into that 62 second station break, a loud high pitched
                        tone (sort of like what we hear during old-time test patterns) began to
                        play, and then a studio camera in New York was scanning a rough torn
                        typewritten sheet of paper! It appeared to be typed on an old manual
                        typewriter, and had a list of program info items AND "news items".
                        The announcer in NYC at master control started reading out exactly what
                        was on that rough torn typewritten page, all about upcoming program notes,
                        ESPECIALLY listing the news items that ABC-TV would be feeding "closed
                        circut" for locals to tape (or kinescope) at 10:30pm E/P (9:30pm C).

                        This lasted for about 45 seconds... some of the news items that ABC-TV
                        would be feeding during the later closed circuit were about "racial unrest
                        in the South", and things about communists and Vietnam.

                        It was effective, using that 62 seconds of "dead air" that the locals would
                        be doing local commercials and local IDs, for ABC-TV to do a brief closed
                        circuit program info update! And they used something rather "crude", a
                        camera scanning a torn off piece of typewritten paper! But still effective.

                        I guess today, ABC/etc. have dedicated "data" channels constantly available
                        to update the affiliates and communicate between control uplink points
                        (NYC, Hollywood, Chicago, DC, etc) of such news and programming update
                        information... I do know that the networks did maintain dial-up TWX or
                        Telex circuits or even dedicated Teletype circuits as well, but I guess
                        on a Saturday night, local affil's master control would be a smaller staff
                        maybe two or three guys drinking coffee to stay awake (or maybe something
                        stronger?), and they would mostly be keeping track of what the network
                        was feeding, mostly around the top or bottom of the hour, to cut-out and
                        cut-back-in to what the network was feeding (back then) DOWN THE TELCO
                        lines, and probably not all that worried about what might be sent to the
                        TTYs probably in another room.

                        mjc

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Doc
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Rob Walker <rwalker653@y...> wrote:

                          > I would guess that early "coast to coast" links would have been very expensive to initiate and maintain, both in manpower and in bandwidth.

                          The three original networks had their NY to LA links up 24/7. Many of the relay/switching stations were manned, as they were dealing with the normal voice and other comms traffic of the day. If there was no programming there was generally tone and a test signal or something like the WCBS NY telop I used to see when I worked for a CBS outlet. At times we might see local programming, a rehearsal, or different kinds of test signals, just depending upon what was switched up on the router. At ABC, LA to NY was not generally up all the time until the 60s, but it could be whistled up on a moment's notice. So they were paying for the circuit to be available, and presumably would pay more per use. Generally billed in 1/4 hour increments as I remember.

                          > Is there any information on the cost associated with these type of broadcasts? Was this something that LongLines would bill to the television network in one lump sum? And how willing was LongLines to initiate these links, since I'm assuming there wasn't an "always up" coast to coast video channel.

                          I remember learning on the job and reading about it later, that the long lines charges started with construction cost paid one time. Then the use charges were calculated on time used x per mile. To keep a circuit available, you contraced for a minimum hourly use per month. I am sure there are a million different "deals", but it boiled down to cost per mile per time. One time setups were very expensive. If you had a channel in place (the "last mile" from the AT&T facility to your place), it was fairly easy to whistle up a channel. Sometimes if you had a buddy at a switch point, you could get a game or a program fed to you on an idle channel. I used to sit at a TV station in New Orleans and watch a college game not shown in my area if my pal downtown could clear a channel. In payment, I used to send him "art films" on our transmit loop after hours. All for test purposes, of course. Harrumph.

                          The networks and stations got a monthly bill like everyone else.

                          In 1962 when we got Cubs games sent down to Houston, they were picked up at Wrigley in color. But AT&T wanted more money to deliver them to us in color than in B&W. We demurred, so they merely clamped out the color burst, as they couldn't filter the 3.58Mc color info, (we paid for a signal X Mc wide). It was a simple matter to lock to the incoming signal and run it through a production switcher and restore the color burst. Bingo. Houston got the games in color. AT&T later dropped the "color" surcharge.

                          Bill Freiberger
                          www.dumont.tv
                          www.dumontnetwork.tv

                        • Mark J. Cuccia
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                            Doc <drdumont at dumont doc net> wrote:

                            (SNIP)

                            > In 1962 when we got Cubs games sent down to Houston, they were picked up
                            > at Wrigley in color. But AT&T wanted more money to deliver them to us in
                            > color than in B&W. We demurred, so they merely clamped out the color
                            > burst, as they couldn't filter the 3.58Mc color info, (we paid for a
                            > signal X Mc wide). It was a simple matter to lock to the incoming signal
                            > and run it through a production switcher and restore the color burst.
                            > Bingo. Houston got the games in color. AT&T later dropped the "color"
                            > surcharge.
                            >
                            > Bill Freiberger
                            > www.dumont.tv
                            > www.dumontnetwork.tv

                            Back in 1988, A&E-TV ran tape of the first six hours of NBC-TV's coverage
                            of the Kennedy Assassination. It was the 25th anniversary in 1988, JFK
                            being shot on Friday 22-November-1963.

                            This was pure videotape of live newscasters, with 16-mm film segments
                            dropped in and still photos/slides. It was all originally being taped on
                            2" wide reel videotape at NBC/RCA Rockafeller Center "Radio City" studios
                            in Manhattan.

                            And all of the NY and DC NBC-TV coverage was being done in B&W.

                            But when they would occasionally switch to Dallas/Ft.Worth for live
                            pickups, which were originating mostly from the studios of WBAP-Ft.Worth,
                            some of those originations were actually *IN COLOR*. I know that NBC
                            was owned at the time by RCA, the pioneer in (old analog) NTSC Color,
                            but it wasn't until the mid-1960s when NBC-TV (as well as CBS and ABC)
                            went truly to 95% COLOR (>50% color prime-time for CBS and ABC which were
                            virtually all BW prior to 1965). NBC-TV did have "some" color here and
                            there, increasing in the amount of color vs. BW, since the late 1950s,
                            but NBC-TV Huntley/Brinkley News and such was still BW in 1963.

                            Yet the live pick-ups from WBAP-TV Ft.Worth at first were IN COLOR, which
                            means that a COLOR CAMERA was used by WBAP, and everything else with AT&T
                            was being used in color in Ft.Worth, sent back to Rockafeller Center in
                            NYC.

                            I'd read somewhere that many NBC-TV affiliates throughout Texas and
                            Oklahoma had MORE LOCAL color programming in the late 1950s and early 1960s
                            than did the NBC OWNED/OPERATED stations in the biggest markets (NYC,
                            Chicago, DC, Burbank)... because the Texas (and OK) oil millionaires wanted
                            color TV's as a "status symbol" and wanted some (local as well as national
                            network) color shows to view as well! While the city-dwellers (even
                            wealthy ones) in Chicago, Burbank, NY, DC, weren't all that worried about
                            the lack of local (or national) color...

                            BTW, since the original taping was being done "on the scene" at NBC/RCA
                            Rockafeller Center, the audio was "pure" 15+ Kc bandwidth. When they'd
                            switch to David Brinkley or Martin Agronsky in Wash.DC, you'd sense a
                            "faint" amount of old-time "network sounding" 5-Kc audio bandwidth.
                            But when they'd switch to WBAP Ft.Worth via a much longer AT&T link,
                            you heard VERY INTENSE 5-Kc bandwidth old-time network-radio/TV audio! :-)

                            mjc

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Chris Ness
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                              On Thursday 10 November 2005 01:32 pm, David I. Emery wrote:

                              > This all suggests to me that in addition to the leased AT&T
                              > network video circuits ABC had private microwave networks for feeding
                              > video in some areas. NE is pretty densely populated, so we would
                              > have been a logical place for such a network I suppose.

                              I worked for a local ABC affiliate in Mississippi in 1972 for a very short
                              while before running screaming from the state and station; and taking a job
                              in Europe. Our feeds were the usual bicycled 2" Ampex tape and a station
                              owned microwave link to the next station up the foodchain (with a repeater
                              half way to Jackson, MS) and a microwave link to the transmitter 40 miles
                              west of town in the Delta.

                              > I remember that during intervals when there was no programming
                              > the ABC network video had a camera pointed at a white-board with crude
                              > hand scrawled messages on it. All seemed very amateurish compared to
                              > the fancy slates and graphics one routinely sees on modern network DVB-S
                              > satellite feeds of network programming.

                              I mention this because I remembered it as a black menu board with colored
                              crayon messages on it. About every minute of time not used for the evening
                              network feed, news, or soaps was filled with promos, downloading news service
                              video or news uplinks that weren't aimed at us but we could see anyway. and
                              when it wasn't the menu board was up. Sometimes we could even see "the arm".
                              A disembodied arm writing on the board. I even vaguely remember the
                              background sound - random ambient sound and also the arm gesturing on
                              occasion. Oh, yeah - I forgot there were occasional ahead of time downloading
                              of shows. I would expect for efficient use of bandwidth, but I vaguely
                              remember previews for potential advertisers.
                              Gosh, 30 years can seem like a long time sometimes.

                              --
                              mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                              the person not doing the work.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                                On Thursday 10 November 2005 02:10 pm, Mark J. Cuccia wrote:
                                > "David I. Emery" <die at dieconsulting dot com> wrote:
                                >
                                > It was effective, using that 62 seconds of "dead air" that the locals would
                                > be doing local commercials and local IDs, for ABC-TV to do a brief closed
                                > circuit program info update! And they used something rather "crude", a
                                > camera scanning a torn off piece of typewritten paper! But still effective.

                                By 1972 the evening news anchor would sit there during the half hour before
                                the evening news droning over and over " Good Evening Atlanta from ABC News",
                                Good Evening Des Moines from ABC News, Good Evening..." I presume that if you
                                were one of the affiliates who bought that service you got the personalised
                                plug to cut and paste into your news. We were too small. Because my
                                background was ETV, I do remember being surprised that ABC paid us to
                                broadcast the shows! I had always figured we had to pay them.

                                > I guess today, ABC/etc. have dedicated "data" channels constantly available
                                > to update the affiliates and communicate between control uplink points
                                > (NYC, Hollywood, Chicago, DC, etc) of such news and programming update
                                > information...

                                I'll put my money on untouched by human hands. Downloading and traffic
                                all-in-one. Totally computer controlled

                                > I do know that the networks did maintain dial-up TWX or
                                > Telex circuits or even dedicated Teletype circuits as well, but I guess
                                > on a Saturday night, local affil's master control would be a smaller staff
                                > maybe two or three guys drinking coffee to stay awake (or maybe something
                                > stronger?), and they would mostly be keeping track of what the network
                                > was feeding, mostly around the top or bottom of the hour, to cut-out and
                                > cut-back-in to what the network was feeding (back then) DOWN THE TELCO
                                > lines, and probably not all that worried about what might be sent to the
                                > TTYs probably in another room.

                                It was all programmed by "traffic" who would provide a typed or occasionally
                                hand written list of what to do when. Their info was Telexed down from
                                network to out traffic dept. The menuboard what let us know what was coming
                                up as a double check and to let us know of on-the-fly changes.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                                  On Thursday 10 November 2005 03:30 pm, Mark J. Cuccia wrote:

                                  > But when they would occasionally switch to Dallas/Ft.Worth for live
                                  > pickups, which were originating mostly from the studios of WBAP-Ft.Worth,
                                  > some of those originations were actually *IN COLOR*.

                                  WBAP got their first color camera, a TK-40, one of the first two
                                  non-experimental color cameras anywhere, in April 1954.
                                • Doc
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                                    Hi, Mark!
                                    Yes, All three stations in Dallas had color gear in their studios. I
                                    believe WBAP (Ft. Worth) and WKY got the first TK-44 RCA color cameras
                                    shipped to other than a network. However, there were no color mobile
                                    units in Texas at the time. I don't think anyone was using color
                                    reversal film at that time, I know they weren't in Houston where I was
                                    working. INcidentally, within the last 10 years, WBAP cleaned out the
                                    basement (literally) and found case upon case of 2" tape, a lot of
                                    which was all Kennedy shooting footage. They actually got it to play
                                    once at The Dub House in Dallas and a lot of the footage made it into
                                    the special. The reason so much of the footage was recorded in NY was
                                    that it was common practice to keep the network lines up and feed
                                    anything you could to "The Net", since they paid big time for footage.

                                    In the early days, audio went over separate voice channels, and one
                                    can imagine the bandwith limiting which went on over the long lines.
                                    It was sometime in the mid 70s when audio began riding on subcarriers
                                    injected on the video at the pickup site. I once had to explain to one
                                    of the craftsmen on site why the "sync was too thick".
                                    -- Doc

                                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Cuccia"
                                    <markjcuccia@y...> wrote:

                                    > Doc <drdumont at dumont doc net> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > (SNIP)

                                    > Back in 1988, A&E-TV ran tape of the first six hours of NBC-TV's
                                    coverage
                                    > of the Kennedy Assassination. It was the 25th anniversary in 1988, JFK
                                    > being shot on Friday 22-November-1963.
                                    >
                                    > This was pure videotape of live newscasters, with 16-mm film segments
                                    > dropped in and still photos/slides. It was all originally being taped on
                                    > 2" wide reel videotape at NBC/RCA Rockafeller Center "Radio City"
                                    studios
                                    > in Manhattan.
                                    >
                                    > And all of the NY and DC NBC-TV coverage was being done in B&W.
                                    >
                                    > But when they would occasionally switch to Dallas/Ft.Worth for live
                                    > pickups, which were originating mostly from the studios of
                                    WBAP-Ft.Worth,
                                    > some of those originations were actually *IN COLOR*. I know that NBC
                                    > was owned at the time by RCA, the pioneer in (old analog) NTSC Color,
                                    > but it wasn't until the mid-1960s when NBC-TV (as well as CBS and ABC)
                                    > went truly to 95% COLOR (>50% color prime-time for CBS and ABC which
                                    were
                                    > virtually all BW prior to 1965). NBC-TV did have "some" color here and
                                    > there, increasing in the amount of color vs. BW, since the late 1950s,
                                    > but NBC-TV Huntley/Brinkley News and such was still BW in 1963.
                                    >
                                    > Yet the live pick-ups from WBAP-TV Ft.Worth at first were IN COLOR,
                                    which
                                    > means that a COLOR CAMERA was used by WBAP, and everything else with
                                    AT&T
                                    > was being used in color in Ft.Worth, sent back to Rockafeller Center in
                                    > NYC.
                                    >
                                    > I'd read somewhere that many NBC-TV affiliates throughout Texas and
                                    > Oklahoma had MORE LOCAL color programming in the late 1950s and
                                    early 1960s
                                    > than did the NBC OWNED/OPERATED stations in the biggest markets (NYC,
                                    > Chicago, DC, Burbank)... because the Texas (and OK) oil millionaires
                                    wanted
                                    > color TV's as a "status symbol" and wanted some (local as well as
                                    national
                                    > network) color shows to view as well! While the city-dwellers (even
                                    > wealthy ones) in Chicago, Burbank, NY, DC, weren't all that worried
                                    about
                                    > the lack of local (or national) color...
                                    >
                                    > BTW, since the original taping was being done "on the scene" at NBC/RCA
                                    > Rockafeller Center, the audio was "pure" 15+ Kc bandwidth. When they'd
                                    > switch to David Brinkley or Martin Agronsky in Wash.DC, you'd sense a
                                    > "faint" amount of old-time "network sounding" 5-Kc audio bandwidth.
                                    > But when they'd switch to WBAP Ft.Worth via a much longer AT&T link,
                                    > you heard VERY INTENSE 5-Kc bandwidth old-time network-radio/TV
                                    audio! :-)

                                    > mjc
                                    >

                                    > __________________________________
                                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • Doc
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                                      Bill L may have a point, but since each video channel displaced 600 or
                                      so voice channels, Ma was always loath to relinquish the voice
                                      channels for video unless we paid BIG $$$. I'm sure the impetus of the
                                      coast to coast video channels had a lot to do with the speed at which
                                      the expansion was made, and maybe decisions to expand to smaller
                                      cities were influenced by pressure to get network service there, but
                                      if you read the history of the microwave and cable carrier systems,
                                      they were always trying to push more and more down that little pipe...

                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Luebkemann" <bill@l...> wrote:

                                      > I believe AT&T only built this network because the TV networks were
                                      willing
                                      > to commit to a 20-year contract to use it. If it weren't for that,
                                      it might
                                      > not have ever been built.
                                      >
                                      > Bill L.

                                    • Doc
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 10, 2005
                                        The time between network shows has been used for closed circuit feeds
                                        of commercials, late breaking cue rundowns (such as the timing sheet
                                        for Carson), and other uses since day one. ABC also had a tone and
                                        decoder which would alert MC operators to check the net during breaks.
                                        I wrote Mark that ABC used a telop for years after electronic
                                        typewriting came into fashion. Electronic devices had to be operated
                                        by expensive Union people.
                                        ABC did have a private TTY line, but it was in the traffic office
                                        downstairs, used mostly for sales and continuity/traffic purposes.

                                        Those "Good Evening, <insert your town here> things lasted all the way
                                        through MOnday Night Football. We had to set up for 2 hours of that
                                        plus the individual interviews before each game. May still be doing it.

                                        Today a lot of cueing and info is sent over the vertical sunc interval
                                        using VITS. That is all that business in 2 or 4 lines at the top of
                                        your screen. You can send a lot of info in 4 x 62.5 usec. Also with
                                        all the digital stuff nowadays, you are right, lots of cueing and
                                        other data is right in the video datastream.
                                        You are right, too, it is now all automated, just a computer operator
                                        or two on duty. And some Centralcast facilities operate up to ten TV
                                        stations where no one is on duty. Hundreds of miles away. Don't need
                                        all those damned Engineers sitting around. Until the transmitter
                                        barfs, or the transmission line burns up, and then they need us. Big
                                        Time. For a while at least. And then it is back to "Dogs, Old Soldiers
                                        and Engineers Keep Off the Grass".
                                        -- Doc

                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ness <mness215@c...> wrote:

                                        > On Thursday 10 November 2005 02:10 pm, Mark J. Cuccia wrote:
                                        > > "David I. Emery" <die at dieconsulting dot com> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > It was effective, using that 62 seconds of "dead air" that the
                                        locals would
                                        > > be doing local commercials and local IDs, for ABC-TV to do a brief
                                        closed
                                        > > circuit program info update! And they used something rather "crude", a
                                        > > camera scanning a torn off piece of typewritten paper! But still
                                        effective.

                                        > By 1972 the evening news anchor would sit there during the half
                                        hour before
                                        > the evening news droning over and over " Good Evening Atlanta from
                                        ABC News",
                                        > Good Evening Des Moines from ABC News, Good Evening..." I presume
                                        that if you
                                        > were one of the affiliates who bought that service you got the
                                        personalised
                                        > plug to cut and paste into your news. We were too small. Because my
                                        > background was ETV, I do remember being surprised that ABC paid us to
                                        > broadcast the shows! I had always figured we had to pay them.
                                        >
                                        > > I guess today, ABC/etc. have dedicated "data" channels constantly
                                        available
                                        > > to update the affiliates and communicate between control uplink points
                                        > > (NYC, Hollywood, Chicago, DC, etc) of such news and programming update
                                        > > information...
                                        >
                                        > I'll put my money on untouched by human hands. Downloading and traffic
                                        > all-in-one. Totally computer controlled
                                        >
                                        > > I do know that the networks did maintain dial-up TWX or
                                        > > Telex circuits or even dedicated Teletype circuits as well, but I
                                        guess
                                        > > on a Saturday night, local affil's master control would be a
                                        smaller staff
                                        > > maybe two or three guys drinking coffee to stay awake (or maybe
                                        something
                                        > > stronger?), and they would mostly be keeping track of what the network
                                        > > was feeding, mostly around the top or bottom of the hour, to
                                        cut-out and
                                        > > cut-back-in to what the network was feeding (back then) DOWN THE TELCO
                                        > > lines, and probably not all that worried about what might be sent
                                        to the
                                        > > TTYs probably in another room.
                                        > >
                                        > It was all programmed by "traffic" who would provide a typed or
                                        occasionally
                                        > hand written list of what to do when. Their info was Telexed down from
                                        > network to out traffic dept. The menuboard what let us know what was
                                        coming
                                        > up as a double check and to let us know of on-the-fly changes.
                                        > --
                                        > mailto:mness215@c... All jobs are equally easy to
                                        > the person not doing the work.
                                        > Holt's Law

                                      • Matthew Sadler
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 12, 2005
                                          Somewhat OT in continuing this discussion, but I'm the list owner, so
                                          there. :)

                                          Anyhow, I've been a master control operator at both NBC and ABC
                                          affiliates within the past four years (left all that behind just last
                                          week to start working as a sysadmin for the local institution of higher
                                          learning, running their debit card system). NBC is using an
                                          internet-based instant messaging system with confirmation (you have to
                                          click Acknowledge or it keeps chiming) as well as another system which
                                          sends data down on their digital Ku network feeds and displays on a
                                          Windows PC.

                                          ABC was still using a closed-caption like system, which also printed out
                                          messages on a receipt printer. The ABC system was nicer... they would
                                          actually give you some warning and set off a rather loud alarm when a
                                          special report was coming down - NBC, OTOH, would tell you that they
                                          might do a special report at some time soon, then tell you to monitor a
                                          specific network channel and when they were going to do the SR, they'd
                                          start flashing the slate. Needless to say, with everything else going
                                          on, SRs got missed quite often.

                                          --mws
                                          http://www.scanchattanooga.com/

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 12, 2005
                                            Matthew Sadler <mws at scanchattanooga dot com> wrote:

                                            > [Anyhow] I've been a master control operator at both NBC and ABC
                                            > affiliates within the past four years (left all that behind just last
                                            > week to start working as a sysadmin for the local institution of higher
                                            > learning, running their debit card system). NBC is using an
                                            > internet-based instant messaging system with confirmation (you have to
                                            > click Acknowledge or it keeps chiming)

                                            OF COURSE, NBC would HAVE to "chime"....
                                            to the musical notes 'G-E-C', sounding like 'Bong-BING-bung'! :-)

                                            (sorry, couldn't resist!)

                                            mjc

                                            __________________________________
                                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                          • Mark J. Cuccia
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 12, 2005
                                              Matthew Sadler <mws at @scanchattanooga dot com> wrote:

                                              > Somewhat OT in continuing this discussion, but I'm the list owner, so
                                              > there. :)
                                              >
                                              > Anyhow, I've been a master control operator at both NBC and ABC
                                              > affiliates within the past four years (left all that behind just last
                                              > week to start working as a sysadmin for the local institution of higher
                                              > learning, running their debit card system). NBC is using an
                                              > internet-based instant messaging system with confirmation (you have to
                                              > click Acknowledge or it keeps chiming) as well as another system which
                                              > sends data down on their digital Ku network feeds and displays on a
                                              > Windows PC.
                                              >
                                              > ABC was still using a closed-caption like system, which also printed out
                                              > messages on a receipt printer. The ABC system was nicer... they would
                                              > actually give you some warning and set off a rather loud alarm when a
                                              > special report was coming down - NBC, OTOH, would tell you that they
                                              > might do a special report at some time soon, then tell you to monitor a
                                              > specific network channel and when they were going to do the SR, they'd
                                              > start flashing the slate. Needless to say, with everything else going
                                              > on, SRs got missed quite often.
                                              >
                                              > --mws
                                              > http://www.scanchattanooga.com/

                                              It almost seems like NBC has a "trend" of having somewhat inferior methods
                                              when compared to other networks....

                                              On the RADIO side...

                                              When CBS Radio began their "NetALERT" system of automated cue'ing which
                                              could also alert affiliates that a special bulletin would be coming up
                                              momentarily (such as an incident of a shooting in Dallas TX on Fri 22 Nov
                                              in 1963)... when CBS Radio started their NetALERT system in 1961, the
                                              trade magazine "BROADCASTING" had an article on the new CBS Radio NetALERT.
                                              It stated that it was more advanced than NBC Radio's "Hotline" system which
                                              had been in use by RCA's network in 1956. NBC Radio's "Hotline" could only
                                              be used to alert stations about special bulletins and such only if the
                                              network were already in the process of feeding a program -- By 1956, many
                                              more radio stations were NOT carrying more and more programs offered by the
                                              radio networks, instead of just switching over large amounts of their time
                                              to whatever the radio network was feeding down the line. So, for those
                                              stations NOT carrying a program at that moment, if NBC Radio had to break
                                              into their own network feed with a special report, those stations NOT
                                              already carrying that program feed could be alerted to a bulletin. BUT, for
                                              those times when there was no program at that moment, the initial version
                                              of NBC Radio's Hotline system couldn't be used to automatically alert all
                                              stations. I don't know the specifics/details, only that I remember reading
                                              this or something along those lines in an issue of "BROADCASTING" magazine
                                              dated 1960 or so about changes at CBS Radio in programming, news, and the
                                              upcoming NetALERT cuing system.

                                              CBS Radio continues to use a NetALERT system, the original version of 1961
                                              was replaced with a more enhanced version in Spring 1978... both the old
                                              and current systems used a "chirp" or "squeak" or "bleep" like tone of
                                              multiple frequencies.

                                              NBC Radio's Hotline system (at least in the 1970s/80s/90s era) used a
                                              format that apparantly is more advanced than their 1956 version. I remember
                                              hearing a multi-frequency "gurgling" tone at various times during a program
                                              those "gurgle" tones being various cue'ing or alerting signals.

                                              Before CBS took over Westwood/Mutual, the Mutual Broadcasting System since
                                              teh 1970s (at least) used an automation cue'ing/alerting system called
                                              "MutuAlert", which used pairs of consecutive "high/low" tones, different
                                              frequency pairs for different functions, which sounded like "BEE-doop",
                                              and even Mutual casually referred to their system's tones as those
                                              "BEE-doop" tones.

                                              And ABC Radio starting circa 1968 started using these high-pitched
                                              "buzzing" tones, that almost sounded like an insect flying about.
                                              The system was enhanced in 1982/83 with a brief 'FSK' burst tone.
                                              Since the mid-1990s, ABC Radio's latest generation of automation cue'ing
                                              is totally inaudible, feeding over a separate data channel on their
                                              RCA/GE satellite channels.

                                              At times, some smaller or "ad-hoc" radio networks used specific telephone
                                              touchtones to alert or cue stations and programs. And in the 1980s/90s,
                                              many Cable-TV channels (prior to more advanced digital automation) used
                                              audible *strings* of DTMF (touchtones) for automation/cuing.

                                              And of course, in years past, all of the major radio and TV networks used
                                              simple tones at the top of the hour as simple time-signals, these began
                                              LONG before later electronic automation tones. CBS Radio is now the ONLY
                                              network (radio or TV) that I'm aware of that still has a top-of-hour time
                                              tone, it is still the 440-Hz "A-above-middle-C" *BONG* tone. That CBS BONG
                                              dates back to the late 1930s on the Columbia Broadcasting System, and prior
                                              to the mid-1980s or so was also used at the top-of-the-hour on the
                                              CBS Television Network as well.

                                              mjc

                                              __________________________________
                                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            • Jim Burks
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 14, 2005
                                                Matthew Sadler <mws at scanchattanooga dot com> wrote:

                                                > OF COURSE, NBC would HAVE to "chime"....
                                                > to the musical notes 'G-E-C', sounding like 'Bong-BING-bung'! :-)

                                                It was important enough to them that they built
                                                clock-operated machines to send the chimes out:

                                                http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/sf/chimes.htm

                                                Listening to modern radio makes me nostalgic for the
                                                old days when people took this stuff seriously.

                                                Jim Burks
                                              • s92187
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 26, 2005
                                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

                                                  > What do we know about the history of coast-to-coast TV?
                                                  > When was the first use?
                                                  > The first NATIONWIDE use?
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm thinking of the Army-McCarthy hearings as an early watershed,
                                                  > but I'm not sure.

                                                  Coast to coast television became possible with the completion of the
                                                  first transcontinental microwave route, which was constructed in
                                                  stages. The first section built ran from New York to Chicago, and
                                                  became operational in September 1950. This route paralleled an L-1
                                                  coaxial route constructed the year before which was already carrying
                                                  network television programming between New York and Chicago, and
                                                  several points in between. Television was eventually transferred
                                                  over to the microwave route once it became operational.

                                                  Within a month or two from the completion of the New York to Chicago
                                                  section, the Chicago to Omaha section was operational westbound only,
                                                  most likely to bring television as far west as Omaha.

                                                  By September 1951 the entire route from New York to San Francisco was
                                                  running. The type TD-2 microwave radio equipment used on this route
                                                  was designed to carry up to 6 broadband channels in each direction,
                                                  consisting of 5 working channels and one protection or spare
                                                  channel. TD-2 was modular: additional channels could be later added
                                                  if an initial installation began with less than the full complement
                                                  of six. Probably for economic and manufacturing capacity reasons,
                                                  the transcontinental route between Chicago and San Francisco opened
                                                  with only two TD-2 channels in each direction, one message
                                                  (telephone) channel and one protection channel. In the fall of 1951
                                                  television programming was being carried on a regular basis,
                                                  beginning with the televised Japanese Peace Treaty Conference. At
                                                  first television had to make use of the protection channel until such
                                                  time as additional TD-2 channels could be installed. Normally the
                                                  protection channel was always available on a stand by basis to take
                                                  over if there was a failure in any part of the regular message
                                                  channel. Recently Jack Berg, a retired AT&T technician (later AT&T
                                                  manager), related to me what was required to make the early coast-to-
                                                  coast broadcasts possible:

                                                  While television was being carried on the protection channel, it was
                                                  imperative that the message channel and the protection channel remain
                                                  operational at all times. This required that all normally unmanned
                                                  repeater stations west of Chicago, approximately 67 locations, be
                                                  manned whenever television was being transmitted, typically several
                                                  hours per day. Each technician had spare parts and test equipment on
                                                  hand to quickly restore service if a failure occurred at his
                                                  station. This was a temporary arrangement until such time as
                                                  additional TD-2 channels could be installed. Jack worked out of the
                                                  Chicago office, he and a number of his coworkers were assigned to
                                                  temporarily man the repeater stations in Nebraska and part of
                                                  Colorado. The people out of the Chicago office were assigned to
                                                  various sites between Chicago and Eastern Colorado, as there was not
                                                  enough manpower locally to cover all of the stations. Jack arrived
                                                  by train at 2AM in Sidney, NE, found the hotel he was to stay at, and
                                                  upon entering the hotel found no one around, just a key laying on the
                                                  front desk with a note listing his room number. The next day he
                                                  traveled by car to the Atwood, CO repeater, staying each night in
                                                  nearby Sterling, CO. After a week or so he was able to get
                                                  transferred to the Julesburg, CO site, which put him close enough to
                                                  the Ogallala, NE repeater where a friend and coworker from back in
                                                  Chicago was stationed that they could meet up for lunch on
                                                  occasion. While working at Julesburg he stayed in a basement room
                                                  of a widowed lady living in the area. Her house did not have a
                                                  telephone, so if an equipment failure alarm came in after hours, word
                                                  was telephoned to Sidney and then to Julesburg, from there a local
                                                  taxi driver was then dispatched to the house where Jack was staying
                                                  with instructions to go in and wake him up, then Jack would then
                                                  drive the Company vehicle to the repeater site.

                                                  All but three of the repeater stations between Omaha and Denver had a
                                                  steel tower with a small "cabin" located within the tower framework
                                                  about 100 feet above ground. The cabin contained the TD-2 bays, C-1
                                                  alarm bay and order wire equipment. There was also a small ground
                                                  level building at these sites containing the back up power engine and
                                                  generator, rectifiers and batteries. The cabin was reached via a
                                                  walk up stairway. Jack relates that he had to spend several hours
                                                  per day in the tower cabin, available to quickly restore any possible
                                                  failure in the TD-2 repeaters. He remembers at least one harrowing
                                                  descent down an icy stairway at night. When he wasn't in the cabin,
                                                  Jack spent the remainder of his working hours doing routine
                                                  maintenance on the equipment in the ground level building. Jack
                                                  worked at the two Colorado microwave sites for several weeks, he was
                                                  then replaced by another technician and returned to Chicago. AT&T
                                                  eventually got additional TD-2 channels installed on the route, doing
                                                  so permanently freed up the protection channel and made it
                                                  unnecessary to actively man each repeater.

                                                  Terry Michaels
                                                • s92187
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 18, 2005
                                                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s92187" <tmichaels@t...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    > walk up stairway. Jack relates that he had to spend several hours
                                                    > per day in the tower cabin, available to quickly restore any
                                                    possible
                                                    > failure in the TD-2 repeaters. He remembers at least one harrowing
                                                    > descent down an icy stairway at night. When he wasn't in the
                                                    cabin,
                                                    > Jack spent the remainder of his working hours doing routine
                                                    > maintenance on the equipment in the ground level building. Jack
                                                    > worked at the two Colorado microwave sites for several weeks, he
                                                    was
                                                    > then replaced by another technician and returned to Chicago. AT&T
                                                    > eventually got additional TD-2 channels installed on the route,
                                                    doing
                                                    > so permanently freed up the protection channel and made it
                                                    > unnecessary to actively man each repeater.

                                                    I recently discovered a few additional details about this subject in
                                                    the Autumn 1951 issue of Bell Telephone Magazine. The magazine
                                                    stated that commercial telephone service was inaugurated on the
                                                    transcontinental microwave route on August 17, 1951. The first usage
                                                    of the microwave route for TV programming was on September 4, 1951,
                                                    when facilities were provided, at the request of the State
                                                    Department, to permit the transcontinental telecast of President
                                                    Truman's opening address to the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference in
                                                    San Francisco and several of the succeeding sessions. Regular coast
                                                    to coast service in both directions was provided by the end of the
                                                    month.

                                                    Terry