re: Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
      J. Marshall Reber of the Telephone Collectors list has posted two photos of
      the new Holmdel building, which replaced the original structure shown in the
      1957 "Reporter" article:
      http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818990
      http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818586

      Albert
    • mj@star-h.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
        The sad thing is that this amazing and beautiful structure will most
        likely be torn down so that some developer can build a couple
        hundred more McMansions there.

        On 6 Nov 2005 at 18:46, Albert LaFrance wrote:

        > J. Marshall Reber of the Telephone Collectors list has posted two photos of
        > the new Holmdel building, which replaced the original structure shown in the
        > 1957 "Reporter" article:
        > http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818990
        > http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818586
        >
        > Albert
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • doug humphrey
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
          the very thought of Holmdel being torn down makes me shudder -
          it's like, how many forgotten breakthroughs that are stuck to the
          walls or ceilings, or forgotten in closets somewhere, might be lost!

          seriously, do they do tours up there? might be time to see the place
          one last time (and a real tour where you get to see the cool parts)
          before it becomes McMansions. horrors.

          doug
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2006
              There is also the chapter in the book "Parkinson's Law" where
              he says that when any organization moves into its permanent
              home it is as good as dead. All the best work gets done in
              temporary quarters. Although I suppose at one time Murray Hill
              was permanent for Bell Labs, and still survives; but before
              Holmdel was built they were still using temporarily a facility
              on West St. in NYC that dated from the early days of Bell Labs.