Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
      A posting on the Telephone Collectors list cited an item in the Sep. 2005
      issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine, reporting that Lucent Technologies is
      considering the sale of the historic Bell Labs facility in Holmdel, NJ.

      I've uploaded a scanned article from the June 1957 issue of the Bell
      Laboratories Reporter, including photos of the original building:
      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/HolmdelNJ/BTLR0657/FC.html .

      Albert
    • Bill Luebkemann
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
        Albert,

        I really enjoy reading these articles. Thanks for your diligence.
        It is fun to ponder the times of old, and how things were in a
        bygone era.

        Regards,

        Bill Luebkemann

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          J. Marshall Reber of the Telephone Collectors list has posted two photos of
          the new Holmdel building, which replaced the original structure shown in the
          1957 "Reporter" article:
          http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818990
          http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818586

          Albert
        • mj@star-h.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
            The sad thing is that this amazing and beautiful structure will most
            likely be torn down so that some developer can build a couple
            hundred more McMansions there.

            On 6 Nov 2005 at 18:46, Albert LaFrance wrote:

            > J. Marshall Reber of the Telephone Collectors list has posted two photos of
            > the new Holmdel building, which replaced the original structure shown in the
            > 1957 "Reporter" article:
            > http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818990
            > http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=135818586
            >
            > Albert
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • doug humphrey
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
              the very thought of Holmdel being torn down makes me shudder -
              it's like, how many forgotten breakthroughs that are stuck to the
              walls or ceilings, or forgotten in closets somewhere, might be lost!

              seriously, do they do tours up there? might be time to see the place
              one last time (and a real tour where you get to see the cool parts)
              before it becomes McMansions. horrors.

              doug
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2006
                  There is also the chapter in the book "Parkinson's Law" where
                  he says that when any organization moves into its permanent
                  home it is as good as dead. All the best work gets done in
                  temporary quarters. Although I suppose at one time Murray Hill
                  was permanent for Bell Labs, and still survives; but before
                  Holmdel was built they were still using temporarily a facility
                  on West St. in NYC that dated from the early days of Bell Labs.