Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 1894

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      I will try to answers these

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:37:34 -0500
      > From: James Browne <jamesm.browne@...>
      > Subject: Re: US radar coverage
      >
      > It appears someone thought the Mexican Air Force was a greater threat
      > than
      > the fellows way up *past *the Canadians....

      this radar picket, such as it is, has not much to do with "defense" -
      it is
      all about the war on drugs and general air traffic control. only in a
      few places do you have any coverage set up for defense/interception
      control as their primary mission.

      > Funny, I'd think the situation
      > would be reversed (with the exception of Cuba). How much of that radar
      > is
      > Nike era?

      none that are particularly Nike related - if you mean from way back
      when,
      then there are a few long range over the horizon (OTH) radars that are
      left over from that era that might still be running - most of the
      radars that
      are in the network are owned and operated by the FAA for air traffic
      control.

      > Just for kicks, does anyone know how much of that area is also
      > covered by
      > SAM's of any kind?

      None - the US does not deploy SAMs to do coverage of the US airspace.
      The ABM treaty with the USSR allowed us to do some, but the US decided
      to shut down the ABM system.

      I will take this moment to say (and I am NOT busting on the person who
      asked these questions - they are very reasonable to ask) that there is a
      general level of expectation that things like air defense, radar
      coverage,
      etc. are in place when in reality things are not at all.

      doug
    • CBright10@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        in re

        "the US does not deploy SAMs to do coverage of the US airspace.
        The ABM treaty with the USSR allowed us to do some, but the US decided
        to shut down the ABM system."

        The SALT treaties were silent on antiaircraft SAMs. They addressed only ABM. The US decided to remove the last CONUS SAMs (Hawk and Herc) in 1979 in Florida by choice, not international agreement.

        A few SAMs, however, have been reintroduced since 9/11.

        The White House has a battery on the roof.

        Another is at a Navy installation in suburban Maryland:

        For some events, the Army provides Hummer-mounted SAMs.

        All this is relevant to this list because previous posts (Albert?) have pointed out that the Tysons Corner comms tower now holds a dome likely covering a radar linked to DC SAM defenses.

        Christopher Bright
        CBright10 at aol.com

      • paul rosa
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
          I don't believe the antiaircraft defense system is on the roof of the
          White House. It actually is on the roof of an office building around
          Lafayette Park across from the White House. It is housed out of view
          behind a rooftop parapet wall facade. Unfortunately, while it was under
          construction, the Washington Post featured a photo of it and gave the
          exact street address. There also is a similar installation atop a
          parking garage in the Washington Navy Yard that is in plain public view
          when own travels the freeway from Bolling AFB back to Washington.

          Paul Rosa
          Harpers Ferry, WV