Re: [coldwarcomms] US radar coverage

  • Rob Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi All... I'm a lurker and very infrequent poster. All of the conversation regarding radar has aroused my interest. Very close to my home in Michigan, in Lyon Township, on 10 Mile Road there is a larger radar installation. It appears to be unmanned, but there is a condemned concrete building next to the tower which looks like it was manned at one point. There are no sings on the building or tower... I'm curious as which agency might this belong to. This radar has no radome, just a large dish spinning on a square lattice tower. I’m guessing it’s FAA. Also there is an abandoned radar site, tower with a smaller radome, not far away. Possibly in Superior Township.

      Is there anyone who can shed some light on these sites?

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        *IF* the first site you're mentioning is the one I'm thinking about, it's a
        standard FAA (JSS) Cleveland ARTCC RADAR site. There is an ops building
        adjacent to it which should be staffed by at least one person routinely, though
        maybe not 24/7, and when I was last there, they had some sort of FAA/JSS sign
        up.

        There was a modern telco blockhouse just up the access road from it which
        used to have a microwave tower, but when I was last there about 5 years ago,
        the building was recently abandoned.

        The Superior Township site I'll bet you're thinking of is the old NORAD
        P-20B Gap Filler Annex off N Dixboro Rd just a little N of North Territorial
        Rd, in relatively intact condition. It was a RADAR annex of Selfridge Air
        Force Station & taken out of service by 1968.

        Tim