Re: [coldwarcomms] US radar coverage

  • James Browne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      It appears someone thought the Mexican Air Force was a greater threat than
      the fellows way up *past *the Canadians.... Funny, I'd think the situation
      would be reversed (with the exception of Cuba). How much of that radar is
      Nike era?
      Just for kicks, does anyone know how much of that area is also covered by
      SAM's of any kind?

    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005

        > On a good day, with all of the radars running (and this includes radars
        > belonging to 4 or 5 different government agencies - no one agency
        > covers it or even comes close) we have almost 95% coverage of the
        > southern borders - we won't even address the canadian board, which
        > is only minimally under any radar coverage at all.

        Indeed. The S. Fla airspace could be said to glow, it's so lit up.
        But despite that, a Cuban pilot defected in the early 90's in a
        MIG, and the FIRST anyone knew about was when a Navy pilot doing
        touch and goes [landing practice..] radioed the tower "You guys
        know anything about the MIG that just blew by me in the pattern?"

        And a few weeks later, another defector came over in an AN-2
        [12-pax biplane] and without notice, showed up on approach at MIA...

      • Rob Walker
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
          Hi All... I'm a lurker and very infrequent poster. All of the conversation regarding radar has aroused my interest. Very close to my home in Michigan, in Lyon Township, on 10 Mile Road there is a larger radar installation. It appears to be unmanned, but there is a condemned concrete building next to the tower which looks like it was manned at one point. There are no sings on the building or tower... I'm curious as which agency might this belong to. This radar has no radome, just a large dish spinning on a square lattice tower. I’m guessing it’s FAA. Also there is an abandoned radar site, tower with a smaller radome, not far away. Possibly in Superior Township.

          Is there anyone who can shed some light on these sites?

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
            *IF* the first site you're mentioning is the one I'm thinking about, it's a
            standard FAA (JSS) Cleveland ARTCC RADAR site. There is an ops building
            adjacent to it which should be staffed by at least one person routinely, though
            maybe not 24/7, and when I was last there, they had some sort of FAA/JSS sign
            up.

            There was a modern telco blockhouse just up the access road from it which
            used to have a microwave tower, but when I was last there about 5 years ago,
            the building was recently abandoned.

            The Superior Township site I'll bet you're thinking of is the old NORAD
            P-20B Gap Filler Annex off N Dixboro Rd just a little N of North Territorial
            Rd, in relatively intact condition. It was a RADAR annex of Selfridge Air
            Force Station & taken out of service by 1968.

            Tim