Re: Mt. Pony documents

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
      At 09:11 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: CLDWARHIST@...
      >
      >In a message dated 4/11/99 9:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      >mfoster@... writes:
      >
      ><< Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
      > believe any "deep" facility was ever built. >>
      >No. I'm not sure how deep the SAC DEEPUNDERGROUND FACILITY was, and it was
      >pointed out to me by one very old man in Detroit that I have no proof it was
      >built.
      >
      >I am saying that in Lamar, Colorado, NORAD built an alternate combat
      >operations center as a backup to Cheyenne Mountain, CO.
      >George

      Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web page:

      18 Feb 82 -- Construction work began at Peterson AFB on the NORAD Cheyenne
      Mountain command post backup facility.

      15 Jul 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility, on
      Peterson AFB, achieved initial operational capability. It would assume
      command and control functions from the CMC in case that facility
      experienced a failure of was disabled under conditions short of nuclear war.

      16 Nov 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility reached
      Full Operational Capability.
    • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
        In a message dated 4/11/99 10:09:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        mfoster@... writes:

        << Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web pag >>
        Thats interesting...i wonder what happened to the one i was referring to (i
        might not of already said it but the alternate Combat Ops Center was first
        mentioned in 1965 when planning was given a "go-ahead", where as the Peterson
        facility that Mark mentions began in 1982...)?