Re: Mt. Pony documents

  • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
      In a message dated 4/11/99 9:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      mfoster@... writes:

      << Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
      believe any "deep" facility was ever built. >>
      No. I'm not sure how deep the SAC DEEPUNDERGROUND FACILITY was, and it was
      pointed out to me by one very old man in Detroit that I have no proof it was
      built.

      I am saying that in Lamar, Colorado, NORAD built an alternate combat
      operations center as a backup to Cheyenne Mountain, CO.
      George
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
        At 09:11 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: CLDWARHIST@...
        >
        >In a message dated 4/11/99 9:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        >mfoster@... writes:
        >
        ><< Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
        > believe any "deep" facility was ever built. >>
        >No. I'm not sure how deep the SAC DEEPUNDERGROUND FACILITY was, and it was
        >pointed out to me by one very old man in Detroit that I have no proof it was
        >built.
        >
        >I am saying that in Lamar, Colorado, NORAD built an alternate combat
        >operations center as a backup to Cheyenne Mountain, CO.
        >George

        Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web page:

        18 Feb 82 -- Construction work began at Peterson AFB on the NORAD Cheyenne
        Mountain command post backup facility.

        15 Jul 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility, on
        Peterson AFB, achieved initial operational capability. It would assume
        command and control functions from the CMC in case that facility
        experienced a failure of was disabled under conditions short of nuclear war.

        16 Nov 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility reached
        Full Operational Capability.
      • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
          In a message dated 4/11/99 10:09:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          mfoster@... writes:

          << Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web pag >>
          Thats interesting...i wonder what happened to the one i was referring to (i
          might not of already said it but the alternate Combat Ops Center was first
          mentioned in 1965 when planning was given a "go-ahead", where as the Peterson
          facility that Mark mentions began in 1982...)?