OT: Historical electric power technology

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
      One of my interests is the history of electric power technology: generation,
      transmission, and distribution. I've just begun to put some relevant
      documents, photos and links online. For the moment, I'm posting these items
      in a directory on my Long Lines site, until I have enough material to
      justify creating a separate site. If anyone has something they'd like to
      see included, I'd be glad to add it. The URL is
      http://long-lines.net/other/electrical/index.html .

      For discussion of these topics, I've joined the Vintage Insulators list on
      Yahoo Groups. Despite the name, the list owner encourages discussion of all
      aspects of historical power systems, not just insulators. I figured it
      would be better to join an existing group and use word-of-mouth to gain
      members, rather than start a new list which few people would be likely to
      find due to Yahoo Groups' poor search capability. To join the list, go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_insulators/ .

      Albert
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005

        > One of my interests is the history of electric power technology: generation,
        > transmission, and distribution. I've just begun to put some relevant
        > documents, photos and links online. For the moment, I'm posting these items
        > in a directory on my Long Lines site, until I have enough material to
        > justify creating a separate site. If anyone has something they'd like to
        > see included, I'd be glad to add it. The URL is
        > http://long-lines.net/other/electrical/index.html .

        Note the #6 pump station in New Orleans, the biggest, has several
        25 Hz pumps. They are in good shape but the 60->25 hz converter
        is not operational. They are 25Hz because {allegedly} they used
        surplus equipment from Niagara Falls.

        See:
        http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08pump.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1126206344-n5fUnn8MsJxG44Zam7i22A&pagewanted=print

      • Jim Burks
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
          Albert wrote:

          > One of my interests is the history of electric power technology...

          The pumps that drain storm water from New Orleans run on 25 cycle power,
          And use rotary converters to convert 60-cycle grid power to the needed
          25-cycle power. At least they did in 1992 when the article in
          Invention & Technology magazine was published.

          http://www.inventionandtechnology.com/xml/1992/2/it_1992_2_toc.xml

          Also see this thread for a discussion:

          http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=133183&page=1

          Jim Burks