Re: Cold War-era state/local EOCs

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 9, 2005
      I just acquired a booklet titled "What You Should Know About the National
      Plan for Civil Defense and Defense Mobilization" from the Office of Civil
      Defense and Defense Mobilization (one of several FEMA predecessor agencies),
      dated December 1958.

      In the section titled "Continuity of Government, the booklet says (p.17):
      "Federal matching funds are available to States and localities for
      establishing protected emergency operating centers. Centers meeting current
      blast and fallout protection requirements have been established in Wheaton,
      Ill., and Delaware City, Del."

      Wheaton is about 25 miles due west of Chicago, in what appears on the map to
      be a suburban area. Delaware City is about 29 miles north of Dover,
      directly on the Delaware River, and looks like a small town in a
      sparsely-developed area.

      Does anyone know the current status of these facilities?

      Albert
    • Mike Sharon
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 10, 2005
        Delaware City was the location of the Delaware State Emergency
        Operations Center until about 1998. The EOC was constructed inside
        an old coastal fort and was used as offices for the Delaware
        Emergency Management Agency (DEMA)as well as a state-level operations
        center. From their website:

        "During World War II, the Civil Defense Preparedness Office in the
        Department of Defense established state offices to protect and
        prepare American Citizens from attacks by Axis Forces. The Delaware
        Office of Civil Defense was located in a former coastal defense
        bunker within Fort Delaware on the Delaware River. With the passing
        of the Cold War Threat, emergency management shifted focus to address
        mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery from natural hazards
        and weather-related incidents, and from technological and human-
        related disasters, such as chemical spills, biological hazards and
        radiological releases from power plants."

        DEMA moved to new quarters in the late 1990s (thanks to another FEMA
        grant) due to numerous problems with the old facility. It was too
        small, very difficult to upgrade, located in a flood plain AND quite
        close (10 miles or less, I believe) to the Salem-Hope Creek nuclear
        power plant across the river in New Jersey. In addition, there were
        numerous large chemical manufacturing facilities nearby in Delaware
        City. The place was surrounded by hazards.

        To the best of my knowledge, the facility is no longer in use. The
        current EOC is a very nice faciity, above ground but well-designed
        against a variety of threats including high wind loads.
        Unfortunately, facility's photo has been removed from the DEMA
        website. However, the facility is clearly visible when one is
        driving south from Wilmington on US-13.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
        <lafrance@a...> wrote:
        > I just acquired a booklet titled "What You Should Know About the
        National
        > Plan for Civil Defense and Defense Mobilization" from the Office of
        Civil
        > Defense and Defense Mobilization (one of several FEMA predecessor
        agencies),
        > dated December 1958.
        >
        > In the section titled "Continuity of Government, the booklet says
        (p.17):
        > "Federal matching funds are available to States and localities for
        > establishing protected emergency operating centers. Centers
        meeting current
        > blast and fallout protection requirements have been established in
        Wheaton,
        > Ill., and Delaware City, Del."
        >
        > Wheaton is about 25 miles due west of Chicago, in what appears on
        the map to
        > be a suburban area. Delaware City is about 29 miles north of Dover,
        > directly on the Delaware River, and looks like a small town in a
        > sparsely-developed area.
        >
        > Does anyone know the current status of these facilities?
        >
        > Albert
      • mrcivildefense
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 10, 2005
          The facility in Wheaton, Illinois is still very much in use as the
          EOC for DuPage County. Updated with modern computers and
          communications, the facility is still structurally very much like it
          was originally built.

          <lafrance@a...> wrote:
          > I just acquired a booklet titled "What You Should Know About the
          National
          > Plan for Civil Defense and Defense Mobilization" from the Office
          of Civil
          > Defense and Defense Mobilization (one of several FEMA predecessor
          agencies),
          > dated December 1958.
          >
          > In the section titled "Continuity of Government, the booklet says
          (p.17):
          > "Federal matching funds are available to States and localities for
          > establishing protected emergency operating centers. Centers
          meeting current
          > blast and fallout protection requirements have been established in
          Wheaton,
          > Ill., and Delaware City, Del."
          >
          > Wheaton is about 25 miles due west of Chicago, in what appears on
          the map to
          > be a suburban area. Delaware City is about 29 miles north of
          Dover,
          > directly on the Delaware River, and looks like a small town in a
          > sparsely-developed area.
          >
          > Does anyone know the current status of these facilities?
          >
          > Albert
        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 10, 2005
            If anyone wants to know anything more about the old Delaware City
            EOC, I was the Deputy Operations Officer as a volunteer there for
            many years.

            The new EOC has its warts - built above ground in a hole, also
            subject to flooding (just not as often), no provision for HF radios -
            I could go on. It is a pretty facility, but I do not think that it
            was very well designed (personal opinion). And its lack of storage
            has resulted in an unsightly mess of sheds sprouting around it...

            john

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sharon" <mjsharon@c...>

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 30, 2005

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 30, 2005
                Sorry for the previous blank reply. What I meant to say was that I've
                updated my list of state and local civil-defense facilities, based on
                information from discussions in this group and items I've found on the web.

                The list is still very incomplete, of course. I'd be grateful for any
                additions, as well as further info/photos/links about these facilities.

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/StateLocal/index.html

                Albert
              • Patrick
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 20, 2006
                  I've been to Fort Dupont (Delaware City ex-EOC) and a few years back a
                  park employee was nice enough to give me a tour. There is an
                  RF-shielded room inside the bunker, where state officials (probably
                  the governor) would relocate.

                  Here's some pictures I thought someone might be interested in.

                  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the actual facility entrance,
                  but some of it's surroundings.

                  Here's the 'pit' http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/7749/dsc0070ig4.jpg

                  An old antenna on top of the EOC.
                  http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1950/dsc0072un1.jpg

                  CD generator area, interesting..
                  http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4301/dsc0080lo3.jpg

                  Dish in front of the old CD area
                  http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9080/dsc0079bt3.jpg

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jks19714@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > I just acquired a booklet titled "What You Should Know About the
                  > > National Plan for Civil Defense and Defense Mobilization" from the
                  Office of Civil Defense and Defense Mobilization (one of several FEMA
                  predecessor agencies), dated December 1958. In the section titled
                  "Continuity of Government, the booklet says (p.17): "Federal matching
                  funds are available to States and localities for establishing
                  protected emergency operating centers. Centers meeting current blast
                  and fallout protection requirements have been established in Wheaton,
                  Ill., and Delaware City, Del." Wheaton is about 25 miles due west of
                  Chicago, in what appears on the map to be a suburban area. Delaware
                  City is about 29 miles north of Dover, directly on the Delaware River,
                  and looks like a small town in a sparsely-developed area. Does anyone
                  know the current status of these facilities? Albert
                • Chris Ness
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 21, 2006
                    On Sunday 20 August 2006 03:43 pm, Patrick wrote:
                    > I've been to Fort Dupont (Delaware City ex-EOC) and a few years back a
                    > park employee was nice enough to give me a tour. There is an
                    > RF-shielded room inside the bunker, where state officials (probably
                    > the governor) would relocate.
                    >
                    > Here's some pictures I thought someone might be interested in.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the actual facility entrance,
                    > but some of it's surroundings.
                    >
                    > Here's the 'pit' http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/7749/dsc0070ig4.jpg

                    That looks exactly like the mortar bunker entrance on Sullivan's Island near
                    Charleston. So I presume Fort Dupont is an old Coast Artillery fort.
                    http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=3043&Y=18127&W=1
                    or
                    http:/tinyurl.com/euk9a

                    The image of that on Google Earth makes it look like they have filled it in
                    with sand. i guess they got tired of vandals and teenage beer parties.
                    --
                    mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                    the person not doing the work.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 22, 2006
                      If you have any questions regarding the old Delaware City EOC, I can
                      probably answer them. I was the State RADEF Officer, and later the
                      Deputy Operations Officer there (as a volunteer - budgets were thin
                      in those days!).

                      john
                      W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAA9SL

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ness <mness215@...> wrote:

                      > On Sunday 20 August 2006 03:43 pm, Patrick wrote:
                      > > I've been to Fort Dupont (Delaware City ex-EOC) and a few years
                      back a
                      > > park employee was nice enough to give me a tour. There is an
                      > > RF-shielded room inside the bunker, where state officials
                      (probably
                      > > the governor) would relocate.
                      > >
                      > > Here's some pictures I thought someone might be interested in.
                      > >
                      > > Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the actual facility
                      entrance,
                      > > but some of it's surroundings.
                      > >
                      > > Here's the 'pit'
                      http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/7749/dsc0070ig4.jpg

                      > That looks exactly like the mortar bunker entrance on Sullivan's
                      Island near
                      > Charleston. So I presume Fort Dupont is an old Coast Artillery fort.
                      > http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?
                      T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=3043&Y=18127&W=1
                      > or
                      > http:/tinyurl.com/euk9a
                      >
                      > The image of that on Google Earth makes it look like they have
                      filled it in
                      > with sand. i guess they got tired of vandals and teenage beer
                      parties.
                      > --
                      > mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                      > the person not doing the