Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: any info on New Orleans Bell South Bldg...

  • Kenneth Coney
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 7, 2005
      We are indeed off topic, but the Coast Guard is the second oldest
      service. (The US Watch or Federal Building Guards are the oldest.) The
      Coast Guard is classified as a civilian law enforcement agency in time
      of peace, no matter who rents them their web portal. For decades they
      came under Transportation as did the Merchant Marine (which also comes
      under Navy control in time of declared war). These days the Coast Guard
      is normally a branch of Homeland Security. In time of declared war,
      then they become part of the Navy, but they retain their powers of
      arrest. (No Posse Commitatus issue as neither the Coast Guard nor the
      Navy are in that statute.)

      Allan Bourdius wrote:

      >I don't mean to be prolonging an OT discussion, but the United States
      >Coast Guard is most definitely a military organization:
      >
      >1) The web address of www.uscg.mil is an easy indicator.
      >
      >2) The USCG FAQ at http://www.gocoastguard.com/faq.html says right at
      >the top: "The U.S. Coast Guard is one of five branches of the U.S.
      >Armed Forces..."
      >
      >3) The Coast Guard falls under the Uniform Code of Military Justice
      >like the other services, uses the same Manual for Courts Martial as
      >the other services. (10 USC A.II.47)
      >
      >4) Coast Guardsmen are part of the all-service honor guard that is
      >present at major state functions, such as Presidential funerals. If
      >you look back at the casket team during President Reagan's funeral
      >last year, there were 2 Soldiers, 2 Marines, 2 Airmen, 1 Sailor, and 1
      >Coast Guardsman on the unit. (Sometimes there might have been 2
      >Sailors and 1 Airman, but there was always a Coastie there to make the
      >grand total of 8)
      >
      >5) I seem to remember that when I was sworn in to the USMCR as I
      >joined the PLC OCS program that there were a bunch of future Coast
      >Guard members in the same bunch as I - recruits for all 5 services,
      >all taking the same oath...
      >
      >I could go on...
      >
      >Allan
      >
      >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Coney <superc@v...> wrote:
      >

      >>Complete truth. They are a civilian LE agency under Homeland. I
      >>

      >have
      >

      >>no idea why someone would presume they were somehow included in
      >>

      >Posse
      >

      >>Comitatas.
      >>
      >>Bill Smith wrote:
      >>

      >>>Isn't the Coast Guard considered NOT a military organization?
      >>>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • paul rosa
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2005
        Regarding the New Orleans telecom situation, last night I was watching a
        BBC News segment about the situation. They filmed a large contingent of
        military forces and police SWAT teams that were about to launch a search
        and destroy mission in a ppublic housing complex there, then went along
        with them as they moved door-to-door. The reason for the mission?
        Techicians were trying to get a Sprint cell site at that locale back in
        service. Every time they would try to climb the tower, snipers would
        open fire. So the mission was to take out the snipers because
        restoration of communications was of extraordinary importance. This
        huge show of force makes the modest security by Bell South to protect
        the fuel for its generators look pretty tame.

        Paul Rosa
        Harpers Ferry, WV

        Bill Smith wrote:

        >Isn't the Coast Guard considered NOT a military organization?
        >
        >Kenneth Coney <superc@...> wrote:The Posse Comitatus Act (18 USC 1385) does *NOT* in any way prohibit the
        >use of the Navy or the Marines for law enforcement, nor does it mention
        >the Coast Guard. Even the prohibitions against the usage of the Army or

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2005
          In order to have state arrest authority, investigators and flight leaders
          in the Air Force were often sworn in as State Law Enforcement.

          At times, the on duty investigator would have to be called in,
          just to say the magic words after hours.