Re: Introduction and info request - Jeff Schallenberg

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      The modem enabled this;i believe the telco interface gear between the
      computer and phone lines was called DDT & DDR(digital data
      transmitter & receiver),and of course modems up to 4800bps. These
      pages will shed some light on the process:

      http://www.smecc.org/sage_a_n_fsq-7.htm

      http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/90197

      also a page on the old Stewart AFB Direction Center:

      www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/ archives/arch_story/101701.htm

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "schallenbergjeff"
      <jeffschallenberg@g...> wrote:
      > Greetings.
      > This is Jeff Schallenberg, and I was glad to find this discussion
      > group, in my quest for information on the early evolution of
      computer
      > networks.
      >
      > I am an ex-officer of the RCAF, back in the cold-war days of the
      > sixties. My first posting after graduating from the University of
      > Toronto with an Electrical Engineering degree, in 1964, was to a
      > Pinetree Line radar site, Holberg, BC. It was home to 53 AC&W
      > Squadron, and I was appointed Station Radar Officer. I came to
      > understand how the FPS-20 Search radar and the FPS-9 Heightfinder
      > radar worked, and I occasionally worked the Aircraft Control and
      > Intercept consoles during exercises.
      >
      > But I never really came to understand how the radar return
      information
      > was processed and transmitted over VF lines and microwaves, through
      > the BCTel network (I guess it was the Voice network, since Data
      > networks were in their fetal stages back then), and thence to our
      Data
      > Center at McChord AFB in Tacoma WA.
      >
      > I remember a visit to McChord, and a visit to the computer room, but
      > not a lot of details.
      >
      > I would like to find, with your help, links to descriptions of how
      the
      > information from remote radar consoles like those at Holberg was
      > processed, encoded and transmitted to centers like McChord and
      North Bay.

      > I know there is a lot of good info in your archives on this Yahoo!
      > group - but it's not easy to find with the Yahoo! Search function,
      and
      > some of the old nuggets point to web pages that are no longer active
      > (for example, one of your founding members photocopied and scanned
      an
      > article from the Bell Labs Record about "SAGE's Radio Pipeline", and
      > posted it on his Chattanooga Scanner site. The site is still there,
      > but the article doesn't seem to be).
      >
      > Since I left the RCAF in 1967, I have been working for Bell Canada
      in
      > the areas of Microwave and Fiber Optics, so I have a good background
      > in how "modern" data communications networks have evolved since the
      > 1970s, from 1200-bps modems to T1 and Frame Relay, up to Gigabit
      > Ethernet and ATM over ADSL and SONET today. But there's a "missing
      > link" (pardon the pun) before ARPANET, when the SAGE network was
      > pioneering the concepts of Wide-Area Computer-to-Computer
      > communications, that I am anxious to catch up on. I hope to fill in
      > those gaps in my knowledge, with the help of members of this Group.
      >
      > - Jeff Schallenberg
      > Saint Lambert, Qu颥c
      >
      > So I trust in your indulgence in pointing me to resources either in
      > your archives
    • schallenbergjeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Great resources, oz!