Introduction and info request - Jeff Schallenberg

  • schallenbergjeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      Greetings.
      This is Jeff Schallenberg, and I was glad to find this discussion
      group, in my quest for information on the early evolution of computer
      networks.

      I am an ex-officer of the RCAF, back in the cold-war days of the
      sixties. My first posting after graduating from the University of
      Toronto with an Electrical Engineering degree, in 1964, was to a
      Pinetree Line radar site, Holberg, BC. It was home to 53 AC&W
      Squadron, and I was appointed Station Radar Officer. I came to
      understand how the FPS-20 Search radar and the FPS-9 Heightfinder
      radar worked, and I occasionally worked the Aircraft Control and
      Intercept consoles during exercises.

      But I never really came to understand how the radar return information
      was processed and transmitted over VF lines and microwaves, through
      the BCTel network (I guess it was the Voice network, since Data
      networks were in their fetal stages back then), and thence to our Data
      Center at McChord AFB in Tacoma WA.

      I remember a visit to McChord, and a visit to the computer room, but
      not a lot of details.

      I would like to find, with your help, links to descriptions of how the
      information from remote radar consoles like those at Holberg was
      processed, encoded and transmitted to centers like McChord and North Bay.

      I know there is a lot of good info in your archives on this Yahoo!
      group - but it's not easy to find with the Yahoo! Search function, and
      some of the old nuggets point to web pages that are no longer active
      (for example, one of your founding members photocopied and scanned an
      article from the Bell Labs Record about "SAGE's Radio Pipeline", and
      posted it on his Chattanooga Scanner site. The site is still there,
      but the article doesn't seem to be).

      Since I left the RCAF in 1967, I have been working for Bell Canada in
      the areas of Microwave and Fiber Optics, so I have a good background
      in how "modern" data communications networks have evolved since the
      1970s, from 1200-bps modems to T1 and Frame Relay, up to Gigabit
      Ethernet and ATM over ADSL and SONET today. But there's a "missing
      link" (pardon the pun) before ARPANET, when the SAGE network was
      pioneering the concepts of Wide-Area Computer-to-Computer
      communications, that I am anxious to catch up on. I hope to fill in
      those gaps in my knowledge, with the help of members of this Group.

      - Jeff Schallenberg
      Saint Lambert, Québec

      So I trust in your indulgence in pointing me to resources either in
      your archives
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        The modem enabled this;i believe the telco interface gear between the
        computer and phone lines was called DDT & DDR(digital data
        transmitter & receiver),and of course modems up to 4800bps. These
        pages will shed some light on the process:

        http://www.smecc.org/sage_a_n_fsq-7.htm

        http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/90197

        also a page on the old Stewart AFB Direction Center:

        www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/ archives/arch_story/101701.htm

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "schallenbergjeff"

      • schallenbergjeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005