AT&T Lee, IL microwave station

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2005
      Terry Michaels, owner of the Lee, IL station, has contributed a wealth of
      information and photos concerning this concrete-silo tower on AT&T's first
      transcontinental microwave route. I'll be posting the material in several
      batches; the first is a history of the site which Terry wrote:
      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/LeeIL/index.html

      Albert
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2005

        > Terry Michaels, owner of the Lee, IL station, has contributed a wealth of
        > information

        AT&T wanted to have it demolished, but after the financial
        disaster incurred after the demolishing of a similar tower
        at Mishawaka, IN, the concrete tower was abandoned instead.

        Details??

      • s92187
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...>
          wrote:
          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          > >
          > > Terry Michaels, owner of the Lee, IL station, has contributed a
          wealth of
          > > information
          >

          > AT&T wanted to have it demolished, but after the financial
          > disaster incurred after the demolishing of a similar tower
          > at Mishawaka, IN, the concrete tower was abandoned instead.
          >

          > Details??

          By 1970 service on the Mishawaka concrete tower had been moved to an
          adjacent steel tower, so AT&T made inquiries about having it
          removed. A local contractor offered a bid to do so, which was
          accepted. Unfortunately he underestimated how substantially built
          the tower was, and ended up losing a lot of money as a result.

          I've heard somewhat different accounts on this story, one AT&T
          retiree told me the contractor actually went bankrupt trying to
          finish the job.

          In any case, as a result AT&T decided it was too expensive to have
          the concrete tower at Lee, IL demolished. That decision saved AT&T
          money years later when diversity antennas were installed on the
          concrete tower at Lee instead of the steel tower.

          Terry
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2005
            I've posted 14 photos contributed by the station's owner, Terry Michaels.
            Terry has undertaken an extraordinary project to return the concrete-silo
            tower to its original appearance and equipment, and most of the photos
            depict the results of perhaps the most dramatic part of that effort - the
            restoration and re-installation of four delay-lens antennas of the exact
            type used on the transcontinental radio route which Lee served. Other
            photos in this set show the antennas' arrival, and views of the station from
            1972 and 1994.

            http://long-lines.net/places-routes/LeeIL/index.html