Re(2): Re(2): [coldwarcomms] FEMA MERS

  • lnmes@uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2000
      Sounds like a scanner project to me, Tim!!!

      Mark Springer
      WL7BCT
    • Matthew R. Potter
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2000
        I just got all 4 of the nuclear testing videos from www.vce.com

        I highly reccomend Trinity and Beyond and Atomic Journeys. Atomic Journeys
        has a lot of little known tests(ones in Colorado, Alaska, Mississippi), as
        well as some very cool footage. The first 15 minutes or so of each video
        are a cram cousre in history and events leading up to the atomic age, after
        that they are pretty good. THe latter I think is a better video.

        It's pretty facinating some of the tests they did and the amount of work
        that went into some of these tests was quite impressive. For example they
        sunk a 5000ft shaft in Amchitka Island off Alaska and lined it with a
        90inch diamater 1"1/2 thick steel casing. That took two years. Then some
        miners went down to cut holes in the casing at the bottom of the shaft and
        they hollowed out a 100ft sphere in the rock, then put a Spartan missle
        down at the bottom of the shaft and detonated it. Then again the depth of
        the hole might have a lot to do with the fact that it yielded about 5
        megatons. Even at that depth it caused the land above the test area to be
        rased by 25ft and rased the island and surrounding sea floor by 5ft.

        Matt.
      • Dave Emery
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2000
          On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 11:55:01PM -0400, Matthew R. Potter wrote:

          > I just got all 4 of the nuclear testing videos from www.vce.com
          >
          > I highly reccomend Trinity and Beyond and Atomic Journeys. Atomic Journeys
          > has a lot of little known tests(ones in Colorado, Alaska, Mississippi), as
          > well as some very cool footage. The first 15 minutes or so of each video
          > are a cram cousre in history and events leading up to the atomic age, after
          > that they are pretty good. THe latter I think is a better video.

          Interesting that this stuff is being released again for public
          viewing. During the height of the cold war in the very early 60s our
          junior high school science class was honored by about 10 of these PR
          films by the Pentagon on various atmospheric nuclear tests in Nevada and
          the Pacific. I think this was exceptional and reflected the fact the
          science teacher had a brother or cousin or some other relative who
          worked for some tentacle of the DOD and could borrow copies of the films
          made for official distribution within the DOD and military, but the
          memories of watching those nuclear horrors in fifth period at the
          impressionable age of 12 or 13 still haunt me... I remember about a
          half hour of watching ordinary suburban houses of the sort built by the
          millions in housing developments of the 50s blown away. A clip from one
          of those films has become common on TV documentaries about the cold war,
          but I remember that the film it came out of went on for about 30 minutes
          of unimaginable end of the world hell... all of course set to upbeat
          martial music with a news of the world narrator speaking in breathless
          patriotic cliches that in a slightly different context would be
          describing the miracles of a new car or washing machine...

          Oddly enough I must have missed the day of the famous duck and
          cover film - the stuff we saw was pure technicolor glorying in the power
          and majesty of the bomb.

          --
          Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
          PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2000
            I suppose you all have seen the Nuke test photos at:

            http://www.nv.doe.gov/news%26pubs/photos%26films/atm.htm

            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2000
              See the attached compressed spreadsheet. You can use this to get an idea of
              what effects a weapon would have by plugging in some values.

              http://www.enviroweb.org/issues/nuketesting/hew/index.html