FW: Cold War Air Defense: NORAD (System 425L) and SAGE Audio File

  • Jim Innes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2005
      From: Jim Innes [mailto:innesj@...]
      Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 6:34 PM
      To: 'coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: Cold War Air Defense: NORAD (System 425L) and SAGE Audio File

      I am not even quite sure just what Vortex Technology actually does, but they
      have these audio files on the site, along with a file of HAL from 2001 A
      Space Odyssey singing "Daisy" (which I simply have to figure how to make it
      into a ringtone for my Nokia - any suggestions for where to get
      instructions?). Also there are some other interesting computer history
      items on the page.

      http://www.vortex.com/av#DAISY

      Cold War Air Defense: NORAD (System 425L) and SAGE

      <http://www.vortex.com/rmf/norad.ram> RealLogoNORAD 16 Kps Audio
      <http://www.vortex.com/rmf/sage.ram> RealLogoSAGE 16 Kps Audio

      During the early stages of the Cold War, and the dawn of modern computing,
      the enormous U.S. Air Force projects to build the NORAD Cheyenne Mountain
      Complex (known officially as "System 425L"), and the massive SAGE air
      defense computer system, were in full swing. Do you recall those impressive
      computer consoles with all the blinking lights from Lost in Space, Time
      Tunnel, and other Irwin Allen television productions? Many of them were
      actually decommissioned SAGE hardware!

      Now hear two fascinating short Air Force informational productions dating
      from the time of both projects'

      Jim Innes

      Wireless Access Technologies, Inc.

      4217 Ridge Ave. #2