Re(2): [coldwarcomms] FEMA MERS

  • lnmes@uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2000
      A long, long time ago, as the song says, I sent of a reader service card
      and one of the boxes I had checked was E-Systems.
      The color glossy 8.5 x 11 brochure I got in return was FABULOUS. Along
      with crowing about how they built Looking Glass and NECAP, they also had
      pics of a lot of road warrior rigs they had built.
      Raytheon bought E-Systems (Used to be Ling Electrosystems, as in
      Ling-Temco-Vought: that ought to age some of us, eh?)
      The rigs were not semis- they looked more like those streamlined RV's
      popular in the late 70s and early 80s. Vey nondescript.
      I also once had a flyer from Harris which showed some really cool remote
      controlled transmitter and receiver stations- i actually called them (this
      is when I was young and reckless) and asked if maybe those were "like
      numbers stations?" The saleman didn't bat an eye (well, it was a phone
      call so I can't be sure...) but he did confirm that only the federal
      government would buy a setup like that!

      Mark Edward Springer
      WL7BCT
    • hooligan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2000
        I still have a copy of that (& similar) E-Systems brochures. The system in
        question, built into the GM 'Home of Wheels' style motor home chassis, was a
        mobile Ground Entry Point terminal.

        I'm not sure why they chose the motorhome style chassis as opposed to a
        conventional (!) semi trailer or military truck & equipment shelter design,
        but perhaps it was to maintain a lower profile (operational security).

        Tim