Re: [coldwarcomms] FEMA MERS

  • ema432@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2000
      > My understanding is that MERS was originally designed to assist in
      > recovery
      > from a nuclear attack. If so, it's interesting that the article
      > makes no
      > mention of that.
      >
      > Albert

      Judging from the fact that the source is focused on government
      technology, I can understand why the writer/editors might rather leave
      out MERS's original doomsday conception in favor of marveling at the
      technology.

      Being a rather large and expensive project, and being built by the Harris
      Corp., MERS is probably state-of-the-art and may indeed have had a very
      special purpose -- one that could not easily be fulfilled by existing
      national guard and civil defense capabilities. Now, think of the last
      time you created something with a purpose for which that something
      quickly became useless. Rather than scrapping that something (and
      thereby wasting millions in the case of MERS), you found a completely
      different use that you had not previously imagined.

      Natural disasters happen all too often regardless of the world's
      political climate. As a member of the emergency management community, I
      am familiar with how such things as things as MERS are extremely helpful
      to those who must coordinate response and recovery operations, especially
      when they facilitate powerful and reliable communications. Unfortunately
      though, it occasionally takes something like 10,000 warheads pointed at
      you to come up with useful ideas.

      Chow,

      Ryan

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!