Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Broadband-in-Gas?!

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005

      > Seriously tongue in cheek, folks...in the same vein as the WOM (write only memory) and DED (dark emitting diode, used to verify operation of the WOM). <grin>

      Hey; I have some WOM, or did 30 years ago...
      Great data sheet...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
        The more I study the Nethercomm web site, the more convinced I'm beconing
        that it is a fraud or a joke. As one example, consider this following
        gibberish (click on "Technology", then "FAQ"):

        BEGIN QUOTE

        Q. Some gas utilities are using plastic pipe instead of steel, especially in
        new construction. How does that affect your system?

        A: The natural gas industry is indeed making extensive use of plastic
        natural gas pipelines which are of course spectrally transparent to us.
        Nethercomm literally broadcasts into the private spectrum contained in the
        natural gas pipelines (metallic or non-metallic) so while a grounded
        metallic pipe makes our signal propagation laughably simple. The natural gas
        pipelines are also conveniently buried as such we can transmit with
        sufficient power to easily traverse the plastics without interfering with
        any external transmissions.

        END QUOTE

        > Technological breakthrough, fraud, or an elaborate joke?
        > http://www.nethercomm.com/
      • Dick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
          Seriously tongue in cheek, folks...in the same vein as the WOM (write only memory) and DED (dark emitting diode, used to verify operation of the WOM). <grin>

          Dick

          > Technological breakthrough, fraud, or an elaborate joke?
          > http://www.nethercomm.com/

        • Timothy V. Peters
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
            If they're tongue in cheek, their event, the "Broadband-In-Gas 2005
            Conference", is for real. I just called the property where they're
            putting it on, and they are for-real there (with big-time,
            already-paid-for catering) on August 24 and 25. One of you San Diegans
            might want to register for it. It's free to attend. Hell, I might go
            if my schedule permits.

            Tim Peters