THE END OF AT&T - ARTICLE FROM IEEE SPECTRUM 7/5/05

  • Jim Innes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
      Excellent article from the IEEE Spectrum journal, basically focused on Bell
      Labs, but chock full of stuff that will be of interest to people on the
      list. I will see if I can post the link to the Wall Street Journal article
      that is referenced in the piece. If the link doesn't work, I can make a pdf
      and maybe upload it somewhere.

      w/r,

      Jim Innes

      Wireless Access Technologies, Inc.

      4217 Ridge Ave. #2

      Philadelphia, PA 19129-1745

      267 481 1461 f215 438 1220

      innesj@...

      http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jul05/0705att.html

    • James Browne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
        Excellent article! Makes you think where technology would be today if
        AT&T were still around. Sadly, the same corporate assets and
        capabilities that caused AT&T to be such a R&D triumph rubbed certain
        economists the wrong way. The Anti-Trust laws meant to protect people
        from the fraudulent monopolies of yesteryear took down a company built
        on the exact opposite, producing a quality product that was the best
        in the world.

        --
        Jim Browne
      • jaycordaro
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2005
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, James Browne <jamesm.browne@g...>
          wrote:
          > Excellent article! Makes you think where technology would be today
          if
          > AT&T were still around.

          ISDN?

          >Sadly, the same corporate assets and
          > capabilities that caused AT&T to be such a R&D triumph rubbed
          certain
          > economists the wrong way.

          It rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because it cost you big time
          every month to pay for AT&T's overhead.

          >The Anti-Trust laws meant to protect people
          > from the fraudulent monopolies of yesteryear took down a company
          built
          > on the exact opposite, producing a quality product that was the best
          > in the world.

          Their R&D was certainly the best...

          -J