Re: [coldwarcomms] Eastern Shore Microwave sites

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
      Just thinking....

      Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
      Salisbury?

      Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
      has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
      with data.

      And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.

    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
        Another anomaly...

        Arnold feeds the Eastern Shore. What feeds Arnold?

        You'd think it was connected back to the TD2 ring around
        DC, but not so...

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005

          > Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:
          >
          > A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
          > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm
          >
          > The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
          > a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.
          >
          > Wye Mills site details and photos:
          > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html
          >
          > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
          > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
          > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

          Great pages.

          You and Albert should set up links from his MD page to yours.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

            > Just thinking....
            >
            > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
            > Salisbury?
            >
            > Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
            > has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
            > with data.
            >
            > And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.>

            I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
          • Paul Zawada
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
              On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
              > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
              > >

              > > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
              > > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
              > > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html
              >
              > Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
              > and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
              > is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

              I'm sure if AT&T still has a current lease agreement for the site, it
              would have to be assumed by the new owner should the tower be sold.

              As an intersting side note, when a licensee sumbits a transfer of
              control application to the FCC, they must certify that the license is
              still constructed and operational. If it is no longer constructed,
              the licensee is supposed to cancel the license before the transfer of
              control takes place. Are all of these licenses constructed? My guess
              is probably not.... It could be that the SBC legal team is submitting
              applications to cover everything rather than taking the risk of
              cancelling something that is still in use. But in the case of
              microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this is a large percentage
              of the licenses we actually no longer in use as the chances of getting
              caught would be greater.

              In digging around, I discovered that the FCC has set up a website for
              the SBC/AT&T transaction at
              http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/sbc-att.html .

              The FCC public notice (
              http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-656A1.pdf )
              for this transaction lists the AT&T transfer of control applications
              that include microwave (part 101) licenses. Here's the list of ULS
              application file numbers if you want to dig around more...

              00020524276 AT&T Corp. KAC58
              0002052535 Alascom, Inc. KBK7
              0002052424 AT&T of the Virgin Islands, Inc. WLK648
              0002052409 AT&T Communications of California, Inc. KMJ96
              0002052528 AT&T Communications of Illinois, Inc. KSF30
              0002052521 AT&T Communications of Maryland, Inc. WAD25
              0002052513 AT&T Communications of Michigan, Inc. KQI61
              0002052481 AT&T Communications of Pennsylvania, Inc. WCG308
              0002052471 AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc. KAS91
              0002052450 AT&T Communications of the Mountain States, Inc. KAN28
              0002052440 AT&T Communications of the Pacific Northwest, Inc. WHR380
              0002052418 AT&T Communications of the South Central States, Inc. KIV64
              0002052444 AT&T Communications of the Southern States, Inc. KIA47
              0002052419 AT&T Communications of the Southwest, Inc. KPP57
              0002052399 AT&T Communications of Virginia, Inc. KIA30
              0002052431 AT&T Communications of West Virginia, Inc. KXR62
              0002052438 AT&T Communications of Wisconsin, Inc. WHO319
              0002051267 Biztel, Inc. c/o AT&T Corp. WMT548

              --zawada
            • Paul Zawada
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                In re-reading my last email, I discovered my laptop's trackpad helped
                me mess up the last sentence of the second paragraph. It was supposed
                to read:

                "But in the case of microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this if
                a large percentage of the licenses were actually no longer in use as
                the chances of getting caught would be greater."

                Sorry about that.

                --zawada
              • David Lesher
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005

                  > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                  > > Salisbury?

                  > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.

                  I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                  microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 14, 2005
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                    > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                    > >
                    > > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                    > > > Salisbury?
                    >
                    > > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                    >
                    > I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                    > microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                    Yes, early '60's i think.