Re: [coldwarcomms] Eastern Shore Microwave sites

  • Jeff Cole
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
      David Lesher wrote:
      > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
      > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
      > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.

      I saw this one a month or so ago on my way to Queen Anne, MD.
      Looking at http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html, it seems to
      be in the right place to be "Easton". The other tower in the area,
      "Trappe", is tall and skinny, unlike the "Easton" tower which has the
      classic triangular frame. "Trappe" is a bit further south at N 38.63028
      W 76.05668.

      The FCC antenna registration is at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=603010.
      Location is listed as "US 50 South". Currently owned by American Tower.
      Site # 88052

      You can find tower registrations at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
        Just thinking....

        Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
        Salisbury?

        Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
        has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
        with data.

        And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
          Another anomaly...

          Arnold feeds the Eastern Shore. What feeds Arnold?

          You'd think it was connected back to the TD2 ring around
          DC, but not so...

        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005

            > Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:
            >
            > A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
            > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm
            >
            > The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
            > a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.
            >
            > Wye Mills site details and photos:
            > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html
            >
            > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
            > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
            > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

            Great pages.

            You and Albert should set up links from his MD page to yours.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

              > Just thinking....
              >
              > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
              > Salisbury?
              >
              > Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
              > has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
              > with data.
              >
              > And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.>

              I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
            • Paul Zawada
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                > >

                > > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                > > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                > > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html
                >
                > Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
                > and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
                > is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

                I'm sure if AT&T still has a current lease agreement for the site, it
                would have to be assumed by the new owner should the tower be sold.

                As an intersting side note, when a licensee sumbits a transfer of
                control application to the FCC, they must certify that the license is
                still constructed and operational. If it is no longer constructed,
                the licensee is supposed to cancel the license before the transfer of
                control takes place. Are all of these licenses constructed? My guess
                is probably not.... It could be that the SBC legal team is submitting
                applications to cover everything rather than taking the risk of
                cancelling something that is still in use. But in the case of
                microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this is a large percentage
                of the licenses we actually no longer in use as the chances of getting
                caught would be greater.

                In digging around, I discovered that the FCC has set up a website for
                the SBC/AT&T transaction at
                http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/sbc-att.html .

                The FCC public notice (
                http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-656A1.pdf )
                for this transaction lists the AT&T transfer of control applications
                that include microwave (part 101) licenses. Here's the list of ULS
                application file numbers if you want to dig around more...

                00020524276 AT&T Corp. KAC58
                0002052535 Alascom, Inc. KBK7
                0002052424 AT&T of the Virgin Islands, Inc. WLK648
                0002052409 AT&T Communications of California, Inc. KMJ96
                0002052528 AT&T Communications of Illinois, Inc. KSF30
                0002052521 AT&T Communications of Maryland, Inc. WAD25
                0002052513 AT&T Communications of Michigan, Inc. KQI61
                0002052481 AT&T Communications of Pennsylvania, Inc. WCG308
                0002052471 AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc. KAS91
                0002052450 AT&T Communications of the Mountain States, Inc. KAN28
                0002052440 AT&T Communications of the Pacific Northwest, Inc. WHR380
                0002052418 AT&T Communications of the South Central States, Inc. KIV64
                0002052444 AT&T Communications of the Southern States, Inc. KIA47
                0002052419 AT&T Communications of the Southwest, Inc. KPP57
                0002052399 AT&T Communications of Virginia, Inc. KIA30
                0002052431 AT&T Communications of West Virginia, Inc. KXR62
                0002052438 AT&T Communications of Wisconsin, Inc. WHO319
                0002051267 Biztel, Inc. c/o AT&T Corp. WMT548

                --zawada
              • Paul Zawada
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                  In re-reading my last email, I discovered my laptop's trackpad helped
                  me mess up the last sentence of the second paragraph. It was supposed
                  to read:

                  "But in the case of microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this if
                  a large percentage of the licenses were actually no longer in use as
                  the chances of getting caught would be greater."

                  Sorry about that.

                  --zawada
                • David Lesher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005

                    > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                    > > Salisbury?

                    > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.

                    I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                    microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 14, 2005
                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                      > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                      > >
                      > > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                      > > > Salisbury?
                      >
                      > > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                      >
                      > I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                      > microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                      Yes, early '60's i think.