Re: [coldwarcomms] Eastern Shore Microwave sites

  • Jeff Cole
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4 1:25 PM
      David Lesher wrote:
      > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
      > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
      > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.

      I saw this one a month or so ago on my way to Queen Anne, MD.
      Looking at http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html, it seems to
      be in the right place to be "Easton". The other tower in the area,
      "Trappe", is tall and skinny, unlike the "Easton" tower which has the
      classic triangular frame. "Trappe" is a bit further south at N 38.63028
      W 76.05668.

      The FCC antenna registration is at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=603010.
      Location is listed as "US 50 South". Currently owned by American Tower.
      Site # 88052

      You can find tower registrations at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4 5:59 PM

        > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
        > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
        > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

        Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
        and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
        is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4 10:01 PM
          Just thinking....

          Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
          Salisbury?

          Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
          has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
          with data.

          And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.

        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5 6:12 AM
            Another anomaly...

            Arnold feeds the Eastern Shore. What feeds Arnold?

            You'd think it was connected back to the TD2 ring around
            DC, but not so...

          • David Lesher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6 6:43 AM

              > Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:
              >
              > A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
              > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm
              >
              > The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
              > a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.
              >
              > Wye Mills site details and photos:
              > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html
              >
              > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
              > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
              > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

              Great pages.

              You and Albert should set up links from his MD page to yours.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6 7:21 AM
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

                > Just thinking....
                >
                > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                > Salisbury?
                >
                > Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
                > has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
                > with data.
                >
                > And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.>

                I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
              • Paul Zawada
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6 10:36 AM
                  On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                  > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                  > >

                  > > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                  > > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                  > > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html
                  >
                  > Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
                  > and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
                  > is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

                  I'm sure if AT&T still has a current lease agreement for the site, it
                  would have to be assumed by the new owner should the tower be sold.

                  As an intersting side note, when a licensee sumbits a transfer of
                  control application to the FCC, they must certify that the license is
                  still constructed and operational. If it is no longer constructed,
                  the licensee is supposed to cancel the license before the transfer of
                  control takes place. Are all of these licenses constructed? My guess
                  is probably not.... It could be that the SBC legal team is submitting
                  applications to cover everything rather than taking the risk of
                  cancelling something that is still in use. But in the case of
                  microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this is a large percentage
                  of the licenses we actually no longer in use as the chances of getting
                  caught would be greater.

                  In digging around, I discovered that the FCC has set up a website for
                  the SBC/AT&T transaction at
                  http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/sbc-att.html .

                  The FCC public notice (
                  http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-656A1.pdf )
                  for this transaction lists the AT&T transfer of control applications
                  that include microwave (part 101) licenses. Here's the list of ULS
                  application file numbers if you want to dig around more...

                  00020524276 AT&T Corp. KAC58
                  0002052535 Alascom, Inc. KBK7
                  0002052424 AT&T of the Virgin Islands, Inc. WLK648
                  0002052409 AT&T Communications of California, Inc. KMJ96
                  0002052528 AT&T Communications of Illinois, Inc. KSF30
                  0002052521 AT&T Communications of Maryland, Inc. WAD25
                  0002052513 AT&T Communications of Michigan, Inc. KQI61
                  0002052481 AT&T Communications of Pennsylvania, Inc. WCG308
                  0002052471 AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc. KAS91
                  0002052450 AT&T Communications of the Mountain States, Inc. KAN28
                  0002052440 AT&T Communications of the Pacific Northwest, Inc. WHR380
                  0002052418 AT&T Communications of the South Central States, Inc. KIV64
                  0002052444 AT&T Communications of the Southern States, Inc. KIA47
                  0002052419 AT&T Communications of the Southwest, Inc. KPP57
                  0002052399 AT&T Communications of Virginia, Inc. KIA30
                  0002052431 AT&T Communications of West Virginia, Inc. KXR62
                  0002052438 AT&T Communications of Wisconsin, Inc. WHO319
                  0002051267 Biztel, Inc. c/o AT&T Corp. WMT548

                  --zawada
                • Paul Zawada
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6 10:40 AM
                    In re-reading my last email, I discovered my laptop's trackpad helped
                    me mess up the last sentence of the second paragraph. It was supposed
                    to read:

                    "But in the case of microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this if
                    a large percentage of the licenses were actually no longer in use as
                    the chances of getting caught would be greater."

                    Sorry about that.

                    --zawada
                  • David Lesher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13 2:58 AM

                      > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                      > > Salisbury?

                      > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.

                      I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                      microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 14 4:47 AM
                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                        > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                        > >
                        > > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                        > > > Salisbury?
                        >
                        > > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                        >
                        > I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                        > microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                        Yes, early '60's i think.