Re: [coldwarcomms] Eastern Shore Microwave sites

  • Jeff Cole
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
      David Lesher wrote:
      > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
      > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
      > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.

      I saw this one a month or so ago on my way to Queen Anne, MD.
      Looking at http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html, it seems to
      be in the right place to be "Easton". The other tower in the area,
      "Trappe", is tall and skinny, unlike the "Easton" tower which has the
      classic triangular frame. "Trappe" is a bit further south at N 38.63028
      W 76.05668.

      The FCC antenna registration is at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=603010.
      Location is listed as "US 50 South". Currently owned by American Tower.
      Site # 88052

      You can find tower registrations at
      http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp
    • John Murray
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
        On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

        > While on the Eastern Shore last week I spotted two sites I don't see
        > on Albert's list.
        >
        > A) N38.95608 W76.07636.
        > This is on Grange Hill Rd; 0.2m north of US50, 500 ft E of 213.
        >
        > This MAY be "Wye Mills", shown on the 1970 map as a cable site. It's
        > above ground, but then the watertable is not conducive to burying
        > anything bigger than Jimmy Hoffa; I see the elevation as 20ft.
        >
        > There's a {guess} 150 ft tower, perhaps a Type A.
        >
        > There are both KS-15676's and the similar-shaped, but with
        > round throat, newer antennas. It looks like they are actively
        > pressurized. There's also a conventional "drum"....
        >
        > I saw no FCC or other tag that could identify the site; just the
        > usual 800 # sign.
        >
        > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
        > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
        > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.
        >
        > It too has a {again guess} 150' type A, several KS-15676 horns
        > and several others.
        >

        > I'm looking in the FCC database for licenses. {I can't find how
        > to search for towers....}

        Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:

        A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
        http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm

        The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
        a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.

        Wye Mills site details and photos:
        http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html

        American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
        MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
        http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

        The Salisbury site is located behind the parking lot of a Verzion
        building, that doesn't look to be the main CO, near the center of
        town. It looks to be a newer building, and I think all 3 horns are
        the round style horns, not the standard AT&T horns.
      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005

          > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
          > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
          > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

          Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
          and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
          is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
            Just thinking....

            Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
            Salisbury?

            Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
            has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
            with data.

            And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.

          • David Lesher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
              Another anomaly...

              Arnold feeds the Eastern Shore. What feeds Arnold?

              You'd think it was connected back to the TD2 ring around
              DC, but not so...

            • David Lesher
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005

                > Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:
                >
                > A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
                > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm
                >
                > The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
                > a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.
                >
                > Wye Mills site details and photos:
                > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html
                >
                > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

                Great pages.

                You and Albert should set up links from his MD page to yours.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

                  > Just thinking....
                  >
                  > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                  > Salisbury?
                  >
                  > Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
                  > has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
                  > with data.
                  >
                  > And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.>

                  I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                • Paul Zawada
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                    On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                    > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                    > >

                    > > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                    > > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                    > > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html
                    >
                    > Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
                    > and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
                    > is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

                    I'm sure if AT&T still has a current lease agreement for the site, it
                    would have to be assumed by the new owner should the tower be sold.

                    As an intersting side note, when a licensee sumbits a transfer of
                    control application to the FCC, they must certify that the license is
                    still constructed and operational. If it is no longer constructed,
                    the licensee is supposed to cancel the license before the transfer of
                    control takes place. Are all of these licenses constructed? My guess
                    is probably not.... It could be that the SBC legal team is submitting
                    applications to cover everything rather than taking the risk of
                    cancelling something that is still in use. But in the case of
                    microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this is a large percentage
                    of the licenses we actually no longer in use as the chances of getting
                    caught would be greater.

                    In digging around, I discovered that the FCC has set up a website for
                    the SBC/AT&T transaction at
                    http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/sbc-att.html .

                    The FCC public notice (
                    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-656A1.pdf )
                    for this transaction lists the AT&T transfer of control applications
                    that include microwave (part 101) licenses. Here's the list of ULS
                    application file numbers if you want to dig around more...

                    00020524276 AT&T Corp. KAC58
                    0002052535 Alascom, Inc. KBK7
                    0002052424 AT&T of the Virgin Islands, Inc. WLK648
                    0002052409 AT&T Communications of California, Inc. KMJ96
                    0002052528 AT&T Communications of Illinois, Inc. KSF30
                    0002052521 AT&T Communications of Maryland, Inc. WAD25
                    0002052513 AT&T Communications of Michigan, Inc. KQI61
                    0002052481 AT&T Communications of Pennsylvania, Inc. WCG308
                    0002052471 AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc. KAS91
                    0002052450 AT&T Communications of the Mountain States, Inc. KAN28
                    0002052440 AT&T Communications of the Pacific Northwest, Inc. WHR380
                    0002052418 AT&T Communications of the South Central States, Inc. KIV64
                    0002052444 AT&T Communications of the Southern States, Inc. KIA47
                    0002052419 AT&T Communications of the Southwest, Inc. KPP57
                    0002052399 AT&T Communications of Virginia, Inc. KIA30
                    0002052431 AT&T Communications of West Virginia, Inc. KXR62
                    0002052438 AT&T Communications of Wisconsin, Inc. WHO319
                    0002051267 Biztel, Inc. c/o AT&T Corp. WMT548

                    --zawada
                  • Paul Zawada
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                      In re-reading my last email, I discovered my laptop's trackpad helped
                      me mess up the last sentence of the second paragraph. It was supposed
                      to read:

                      "But in the case of microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this if
                      a large percentage of the licenses were actually no longer in use as
                      the chances of getting caught would be greater."

                      Sorry about that.

                      --zawada
                    • David Lesher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005

                        > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                        > > Salisbury?

                        > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.

                        I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                        microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 14, 2005
                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                          > >
                          > > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                          > > > Salisbury?
                          >
                          > > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                          >
                          > I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                          > microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                          Yes, early '60's i think.