Re: [coldwarcomms] Eastern Shore Microwave sites (transfer)

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4 2:17 PM
      These are the licenses shown as being transferred from ATT to SBC.

      WAD25
      WAD26
      WAD27
      WAD28
      WIV26
      WIV27
      WLA669
      WLA670
      WLA671
      WLA672
      WLA674
      WLC729

      Re: searching at the FCC..

      There must be some magic. My attempts to search by license name,
      including "AT&T" failed. I donno why...

    • Paul Zawada
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5 6:57 PM
        On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
        > FINALLY {how DOES Albert find stuff in the FCC database so easily?}
        > found FCC file #2052521 talking about WAD25, 26, and more...
        >
        > They are bing tranferred from AT&T Communications of Maryland
        > to SBC...
        >
        > Huh?

        This application (amongst a group of others) is a formality required
        by the impending acquisition of AT&T by SBC. Whenever a controlling
        interest in an FCC licensee is going to change, the licensee must
        apply to the Commission for permission to transfer control of the
        license. If such an acquisition takes place before the FCC gives
        their nod, the licensee can find themselves in a lot of (expensive)
        trouble. A lot of utilities seem have been tripped up by this in the
        last few years. See:

        http://www.fcc.gov/eb/factsheets/sec310d.html
        http://www.fcc.gov/eb/unauthtctl/

        Incidentally, after the transaction takes place, these licenses will
        (at least for near-term) remain in their respective AT&T affiliate
        names. The licensee is not changing; such an action would require an
        application for an "Assignment of Authorization," not a "Transfer of
        Control" such as this.

        --zawada
      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5 7:15 PM

          > This application (amongst a group of others) is a formality required
          > by the impending acquisition of AT&T by SBC. Whenever a controlling
          > interest in an FCC licensee is going to change, the licensee must
          > apply to the Commission for permission to transfer control of the
          > license.

          Wow. Virtually any other acquisition issue can be avoided by just
          buying [here ATT] the corp. and leaving it in place running...

          Learn something every day.

        • James Browne
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5 8:06 PM
            But why would the FCC do the exact opposite in regards to comm facilities?

            --
            Jim Browne
          • Paul Zawada
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6 10:13 AM
              The FCC doesn't want someone quitely buying companies to acquire
              licenses in an undetectable manner. They want to know who ultimately
              has control of a license.

              --zawada

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6 10:17 AM
                That would make sense. Comm facilities are of far more concern than a
                donut shop.

                --
                Jim Browne