Eastern Shore Microwave sites

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
      While on the Eastern Shore last week I spotted two sites I don't see
      on Albert's list.

      A) N38.95608 W76.07636.
      This is on Grange Hill Rd; 0.2m north of US50, 500 ft E of 213.

      This MAY be "Wye Mills", shown on the 1970 map as a cable site. It's
      above ground, but then the watertable is not conducive to burying
      anything bigger than Jimmy Hoffa; I see the elevation as 20ft.

      There's a {guess} 150 ft tower, perhaps a Type A.

      There are both KS-15676's and the similar-shaped, but with
      round throat, newer antennas. It looks like they are actively
      pressurized. There's also a conventional "drum"....

      I saw no FCC or other tag that could identify the site; just the
      usual 800 # sign.

      B) N38.64202 W76.05880
      Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
      This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.

      It too has a {again guess} 150' type A, several KS-15676 horns
      and several others.

      I'm looking in the FCC database for licenses. {I can't find how
      to search for towers....}

    • Jeff Cole
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
        David Lesher wrote:
        > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
        > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
        > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.

        I saw this one a month or so ago on my way to Queen Anne, MD.
        Looking at http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html, it seems to
        be in the right place to be "Easton". The other tower in the area,
        "Trappe", is tall and skinny, unlike the "Easton" tower which has the
        classic triangular frame. "Trappe" is a bit further south at N 38.63028
        W 76.05668.

        The FCC antenna registration is at
        http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=603010.
        Location is listed as "US 50 South". Currently owned by American Tower.
        Site # 88052

        You can find tower registrations at
        http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp
      • John Murray
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
          On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

          > While on the Eastern Shore last week I spotted two sites I don't see
          > on Albert's list.
          >
          > A) N38.95608 W76.07636.
          > This is on Grange Hill Rd; 0.2m north of US50, 500 ft E of 213.
          >
          > This MAY be "Wye Mills", shown on the 1970 map as a cable site. It's
          > above ground, but then the watertable is not conducive to burying
          > anything bigger than Jimmy Hoffa; I see the elevation as 20ft.
          >
          > There's a {guess} 150 ft tower, perhaps a Type A.
          >
          > There are both KS-15676's and the similar-shaped, but with
          > round throat, newer antennas. It looks like they are actively
          > pressurized. There's also a conventional "drum"....
          >
          > I saw no FCC or other tag that could identify the site; just the
          > usual 800 # sign.
          >
          > B) N38.64202 W76.05880
          > Trappe, MD -- this may be "Easton"
          > This is on US50, near Howell Point Rd.
          >
          > It too has a {again guess} 150' type A, several KS-15676 horns
          > and several others.
          >

          > I'm looking in the FCC database for licenses. {I can't find how
          > to search for towers....}

          Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:

          A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
          http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm

          The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
          a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.

          Wye Mills site details and photos:
          http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html

          American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
          MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
          http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

          The Salisbury site is located behind the parking lot of a Verzion
          building, that doesn't look to be the main CO, near the center of
          town. It looks to be a newer building, and I think all 3 horns are
          the round style horns, not the standard AT&T horns.
        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005

            > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
            > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
            > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

            Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
            and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
            is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

          • David Lesher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
              Just thinking....

              Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
              Salisbury?

              Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
              has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
              with data.

              And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.

            • David Lesher
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
                Another anomaly...

                Arnold feeds the Eastern Shore. What feeds Arnold?

                You'd think it was connected back to the TD2 ring around
                DC, but not so...

              • David Lesher
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005

                  > Here's some information and photos I have on some of those sites:
                  >
                  > A map of the currently licensed route on the eastern shore:
                  > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/MDEasternShore.htm
                  >
                  > The Site's I've seen on this route seem to be setup with 2 horns plus
                  > a diversity receive horn lower on the tower.
                  >
                  > Wye Mills site details and photos:
                  > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/WyeMills/index.html
                  >
                  > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                  > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                  > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html

                  Great pages.

                  You and Albert should set up links from his MD page to yours.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:

                    > Just thinking....
                    >
                    > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                    > Salisbury?
                    >
                    > Besides being a alternate path down the East Coast; Wallops Island
                    > has been there a LONG time. In the late 60's it had to be exploding
                    > with data.
                    >
                    > And NASA-LaRC is just south, with Pax River to the west.>

                    I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                  • Paul Zawada
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                      On 7/4/05, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                      > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                      > >

                      > > American Tower Information and photos for their former AT&T sites in
                      > > MD, Including Trappe, Federalsburg, and Arnold:
                      > > http://www.badpixels.com/jm3000/sites/AT/MD.html
                      >
                      > Interesting that ATT has licenses for sites ATC shows as for sale;
                      > and SBC [yes, it finally occurred to me why SBC was involved...]
                      > is paying to transfer them...so are they keeping them or not...?

                      I'm sure if AT&T still has a current lease agreement for the site, it
                      would have to be assumed by the new owner should the tower be sold.

                      As an intersting side note, when a licensee sumbits a transfer of
                      control application to the FCC, they must certify that the license is
                      still constructed and operational. If it is no longer constructed,
                      the licensee is supposed to cancel the license before the transfer of
                      control takes place. Are all of these licenses constructed? My guess
                      is probably not.... It could be that the SBC legal team is submitting
                      applications to cover everything rather than taking the risk of
                      cancelling something that is still in use. But in the case of
                      microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this is a large percentage
                      of the licenses we actually no longer in use as the chances of getting
                      caught would be greater.

                      In digging around, I discovered that the FCC has set up a website for
                      the SBC/AT&T transaction at
                      http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/sbc-att.html .

                      The FCC public notice (
                      http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-656A1.pdf )
                      for this transaction lists the AT&T transfer of control applications
                      that include microwave (part 101) licenses. Here's the list of ULS
                      application file numbers if you want to dig around more...

                      00020524276 AT&T Corp. KAC58
                      0002052535 Alascom, Inc. KBK7
                      0002052424 AT&T of the Virgin Islands, Inc. WLK648
                      0002052409 AT&T Communications of California, Inc. KMJ96
                      0002052528 AT&T Communications of Illinois, Inc. KSF30
                      0002052521 AT&T Communications of Maryland, Inc. WAD25
                      0002052513 AT&T Communications of Michigan, Inc. KQI61
                      0002052481 AT&T Communications of Pennsylvania, Inc. WCG308
                      0002052471 AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc. KAS91
                      0002052450 AT&T Communications of the Mountain States, Inc. KAN28
                      0002052440 AT&T Communications of the Pacific Northwest, Inc. WHR380
                      0002052418 AT&T Communications of the South Central States, Inc. KIV64
                      0002052444 AT&T Communications of the Southern States, Inc. KIA47
                      0002052419 AT&T Communications of the Southwest, Inc. KPP57
                      0002052399 AT&T Communications of Virginia, Inc. KIA30
                      0002052431 AT&T Communications of West Virginia, Inc. KXR62
                      0002052438 AT&T Communications of Wisconsin, Inc. WHO319
                      0002051267 Biztel, Inc. c/o AT&T Corp. WMT548

                      --zawada
                    • Paul Zawada
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                        In re-reading my last email, I discovered my laptop's trackpad helped
                        me mess up the last sentence of the second paragraph. It was supposed
                        to read:

                        "But in the case of microwave licenses, I doubt they would do this if
                        a large percentage of the licenses were actually no longer in use as
                        the chances of getting caught would be greater."

                        Sorry about that.

                        --zawada
                      • David Lesher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005

                          > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                          > > Salisbury?

                          > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.

                          I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                          microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 14, 2005
                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                            > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                            > >
                            > > > Was there ever TD2 further south on the Delmarva Penisula than
                            > > > Salisbury?
                            >
                            > > I believe the Wallops-Silver Beach was TL/TM.
                            >
                            > I see http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html mentions
                            > microwave; is TL/TM later technology than TD2?

                            Yes, early '60's i think.