CDAA at Naval Comms Station San Diego (Imperial beach)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
      Photos showing the immense size of the antenna system; click on the small
      images to view full-size versions:
      http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=10009&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=current

      Albert
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005

        > Photos showing the immense size of the antenna system; click on the small
        > images to view full-size versions:
        > http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=10009&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=current

        Just north of there are 2 underground entrances of some kind.
        Note the multiple dishes on the one.

      • Dick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
          The "elephant cage" is a Wullenweber Array. There are several of them installed at stations around the world, including South Korea and Australia.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
            Immediately to the north of the CDAA is WWII harbor defense Battery Grant which mounted 2 6-in rapid fire guns. Farther north
            is Battery Construction 134 (proposed name was Gatchell but was never assigned) to have mounted 2 16-in guns. They were
            never installed. During WWII this area was an Army coast artillery fortification, Fort Emory at Coronado Heights, CA., a part of the Harbor Defenses of San Diego. Adjacent to the fort to the south was the Navy Communication Supplementary Activity, Station I. Its predecessors were all Navy direction finder stations since 1921. Later Fort Emory was assigned to the Navy which converted the large concrete structure of BC 134 to a Naval Radio Station (R) which contained the receivers for NPL, naval radio San Diego, in addtion to the Naval Security Group Department which continued to operate a high frequency direction finder at the site into the late 1990s. The Wullenwenweber seen in the photo was the last of the Navy direction finders in this location, 1921-1998. The site is now part of the Silver Strand Training Complex of Naval Base Coronado.