Re: [coldwarcomms] any insights? no pun intended

  • Julian Allason
    Message 1 of 43 , May 12, 2000
      Mike Jacobs suggested that:

      >The real
      >problem is inherent in our style of government where the political
      >leadership turns over regularly and is run by civilians and not the
      >military.

      I wonder if the insecurity might not have something to do with the lack
      of continuity in Government. As a Brit I have always been struck on my
      visits to the White House by the degree to which administration is
      conducted by newcomers to government. Virtually everyone I ever met in
      the Clinton White House had got there by working on his campaign.

      Whereas here in the UK the smooth gentlemen (and a few ladies) of the
      Civil Service handle virtually every aspect of government except
      political decision making. The result is that even the type of tea drunk
      by the most junior government minister is a state secret. These Civil
      Service "Mandarins", as they are known, are politically neutral, in
      theory and to a large extent in practice. So much so that the New Labour
      government has had to bring in large numbers of their own political
      advisors. They also fired many of the Civil Service Information Officers
      who acted as Government spokesmen for being too politically neutral in
      their pronouncements.

      So in Britain bugging of Government ministries is most likely to be
      conducted on behalf of the Prime Minister's Cabinet Office to make sure
      everyone is 'on message'. Of course at the European Union HQ in Brussels
      it is accepted that everyone bugs everyone else's phones, the most active
      (but least technically proficient) practitioners being the French. But at
      least everyone knows what everyone else is doing.

      Julian
    • Craig Scott
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 5, 2009
        Yeah,  "Whistler"   modeled after Joe Engrassia....one of the original "Phone Phreaks"...and blind