Mounds

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005
      The Mounds AT&T Autovon switch, microwave junction,
      cable junction, has been sold to Frosty Towers Inc.

      The site was shut down for the Autovon switch starting
      on 7/92, closed the switch 11/92. There is an empty
      area just to the right of the recieving area, that is
      labeled 1ESS, which was possibly removed in 11/94,
      and possibly moved to Cheyene Mountain,
      according to notes. Anyone got
      a picture of a 1ESS switch?

      The Autovon testboards, and much more is still
      there. Other than the 30X40 area labeled 1ESS,
      the battery plant, and some office furniture in the
      offices area, it looks like they just locked up and left.

      Batteries were removed at various times, up to 2002.

      Mounds was a big site, in addition to the normal
      autovon operations, it had a microwave junction,
      and then a cable junction. The site was added to at
      least once. There ia also on the diagrams a "cable vault"
      but we are not sure how to access it yet.

      There is much inside the building that references blast
      detectors, but nothing out side that looks like the normal
      blast detectors found at other AT&T sites. (the metal hat
      on the concrete square pylon)

      The site was also on commercial water and possibly sewage.

      The site was also an Echo/Fox site, with the base station
      equipment still in place. The antennas were on the tower but
      just smaller standard areo type antennas.

      more to come
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005

        > The Mounds AT&T Autovon switch, microwave junction,
        > cable junction, has been sold to Frosty Towers Inc.

        It never hurts to say WHERE such is...

        Mounds MT, Mounds LA, etc...

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005
          Well, there was only one Mounds Autovon switch, that
          being at the Mounds located in Oklahoma, but you are
          right, I should have specified.

          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          >>
          >> The Mounds AT&T Autovon switch, microwave junction,
          >> cable junction, has been sold to Frosty Towers Inc.
          >
          > It never hurts to say WHERE such is...
          >
          > Mounds MT, Mounds LA, etc...

        • Blake Bowers
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2009
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/4229936421/in/set-72157623105790578/

            new pictures of Mounds, including the Echo Fox station

            Don't take your organs to heaven,
            heaven knows we need them down here!