Re: [coldwarcomms] Thurmont, MD passive repeater

    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2000
      Pat,

      >Double billboards are quite rare, as usually you can find a better
      location
      >for a passive.
      >
      >There is one other kind of passive - two back to back dishes. It has much
      >lower wind loading for the same performance, but won't acheve as much gain
      >as a big reflector. The upside is a 180 degree angle works as well as a 5
      >degree one. Path alignment can be a royal PITA (4 antennas, 8 degrees of
      >freedom) unless you take a Spec-An up the passive tower.

      Thanks for the info on that type of passive repeater. Mark Foster notes
      such a repeater was installed at the USAF's "The Notch" PACCS facility in
      Hadley, MA:

      http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm

      ...Albert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2000
        A while ago I posted information about a passive microwave repeater atop
        Piney Mountain, north of Thurmont, MD.

        A person familiar with the installation has identified it as a Bell
        Atlantic repeater, part of a 6-GHz link between Thurmont and Frederick, MD.
        The link has been decommissioned but the repeater was allowed to remain,
        due to the expense of removing it.

        I've updated my Cold War web page to include this new infromation, and have
        moved the web page for the repeater to my Bell System site.