Re: (no subject)

  • Dave Emery
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 1999
      On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 11:23:16PM -0400, John Warne wrote:
      > From: John Warne <warnejw@...>

      > Anybody ever seen one of the "sensors mounted on telephone poles?"

      Yes I remember seeing them back in that era. It has been a
      long time and I can't accurately remember where, but at least at two or
      three places in the NE Boston to DC corridor along state highways in the
      suburbs of cities.

      What I remember was a sort of purplish colored opaque glass bulb
      maybe 8-9 inches or tall and 3 inches in diameter with a rounded top
      sitting on top of a grey metal box mounted on the top of a telephone
      pole with connections to a phone cable. The one I remember most clearly
      was pretty obviously mounted high up in the clear on a pole near the top
      of a hill. I sort of remember along a semi-rural highway near Pease
      AFB in NH , but that level of detail is really noise now...

      I do remember having seen a newspaper or magazine article about
      the system with a picture of the sensor and realizing that that was what
      I was seeing.

      I also have the extremely vague memory that as junior high
      school or maybe younger kid growing up in a town with a lot of R&D
      executives and senior technical people who worked at high tech defense
      companies in the 128 area I was taken on a tour with some of my
      classmates of a MIT facility (perhaps at Hanscom AFB or Lincoln Labs)
      and shown a room with a prototype of a huge map of the US on a big
      wooden board mounted on one wall with little colored lights scattered
      about on it which I was told were locations of bomb alarm sensors. This
      would have been either the very late 50s or early 60s. The map was
      about two stories high ...

      --
      Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
      PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18