Re: [coldwarcomms] DC-area nuclear Nikes

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2000
      At 10:27 PM 5/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:

      >Interesting - I don't know of any missile sites near Pimmit Hills, and I
      >couldn't find any mention of one in "To Defend and Deter". Is it possible
      >that the site was some other kind of defense facility, like a radar or
      >communications station?
      >
      >(For those not familiar with the DC area, Pimmit Hills is a 1950s
      >residential neighborhood about 9 miles west of DC, just inside the Capital
      >Beltway).
      >
      >...Albert

      Check out:

      http://www.jps.net/ethelen/appndx_b.html

      It is the best list I know of all the NIKE site in the US.
    • LOKUTIS@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2000
        hi albert , yea the lorton site bunkers were paved over just before i moved
        to fla. in late 91 or early 92 thats where the new bldg is just past hooes rd
        . the low green bldgs with brick chiminys are nike, last i saw the guard
        shack was still there that would make a neat souvineir :) also the other base
        was on popes head rd not pohick
        as i wrote earlier , now called nike park on maps. the site in pimmit hills
        was described in a book called the history of fairfax co. i was digging
        through the web and found a site where you could read this. it said the base
        was located off magerity
        or magretty rd.any such rd in that area ?? if i find this web site again i
        will write it down . fyi there is a fellow in your area who regularly listens
        to af -1 and the airforce
        orderwire comms on wbfm in the mil air band e-mail address is hobnail@...
        he reports some very interesting stuff .it may be of intrest to you. i also
        enjoy reading your reports of inspecting various sites ..

        thats all for now LOKUTIS