Re: [coldwarcomms] DC-area nuclear Nikes

    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 7:27 PM
      >Having lived in fairfax co. for many years and driving past the lorton
      site
      >almost every day in the early 80s i was very interested in the article.
      the
      >site was in pristene condition as it was used by the prison to train
      guards
      >so i could not get in to explore
      >however i have been to the other bases off pohick rd. badly vandalized by
      the
      >late 70s one bunker not flooded.

      I live in Falls Church, and two Sundays ago went to the Lorton area to see
      what remains. Much of the Lorton prison complex has been closed, including
      the minimum-security unit which occupies the missile site. The perimeter
      is secured, and from the public road I couldn't see any unusual structures
      - just a mix of old (possibly Nike-era) buildings, and modern ones.
      There's an historical marker nearby, describing the Nike sites protecting
      Washington.

      > the base at utterback store rd. was also in
      >great condition ,all buildings good no flooded bunkers

      Sadly, that site has been removed. All that remains is a spherical radome,
      with two openings cut in it to make it a play structure, part of a county
      park. Also some groundwater-monitoring wells.

      > in fact they were
      >full of survival supplies !!!! some of them i liberated, cans of buiscuits

      >and carbohydrate suppliment
      >that were balls of hard candy. i wish i still had them being worth
      something
      >by now :)

      Right, I read somewhere about a guy who was selling his stash of that candy
      as Cold War souvenirs!

      >in fact this base still had power i turned on lights and the bay doors
      >opened. this site seemed to be as large as the lorton site. at no time did
      >see any signs or warnings
      >in the bunkers about nukes ie radiation warnings nor did i see any
      seperate
      >bunkers for the warheads, they would have been kept seperate fromthe
      missiles
      >until use.

      I think the nukes were only at Lorton - not sure, though.

      >also several books over the years mention another site near the pimmit
      hills
      >area
      >some don't can anyone confirm?? anyone wanting more info please e-mail me

      Interesting - I don't know of any missile sites near Pimmit Hills, and I
      couldn't find any mention of one in "To Defend and Deter". Is it possible
      that the site was some other kind of defense facility, like a radar or
      communications station?

      (For those not familiar with the DC area, Pimmit Hills is a 1950s
      residential neighborhood about 9 miles west of DC, just inside the Capital
      Beltway).

      ...Albert
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11 4:15 AM
        At 10:27 PM 5/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:

        >Interesting - I don't know of any missile sites near Pimmit Hills, and I
        >couldn't find any mention of one in "To Defend and Deter". Is it possible
        >that the site was some other kind of defense facility, like a radar or
        >communications station?
        >
        >(For those not familiar with the DC area, Pimmit Hills is a 1950s
        >residential neighborhood about 9 miles west of DC, just inside the Capital
        >Beltway).
        >
        >...Albert

        Check out:

        http://www.jps.net/ethelen/appndx_b.html

        It is the best list I know of all the NIKE site in the US.
      • LOKUTIS@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14 1:53 PM
          hi albert , yea the lorton site bunkers were paved over just before i moved
          to fla. in late 91 or early 92 thats where the new bldg is just past hooes rd
          . the low green bldgs with brick chiminys are nike, last i saw the guard
          shack was still there that would make a neat souvineir :) also the other base
          was on popes head rd not pohick
          as i wrote earlier , now called nike park on maps. the site in pimmit hills
          was described in a book called the history of fairfax co. i was digging
          through the web and found a site where you could read this. it said the base
          was located off magerity
          or magretty rd.any such rd in that area ?? if i find this web site again i
          will write it down . fyi there is a fellow in your area who regularly listens
          to af -1 and the airforce
          orderwire comms on wbfm in the mil air band e-mail address is hobnail@...
          he reports some very interesting stuff .it may be of intrest to you. i also
          enjoy reading your reports of inspecting various sites ..

          thats all for now LOKUTIS