Re: any insights? no pun intended

  • Goldsmith, Tim
    Message 1 of 43 , May 9, 2000
      I appreciate the help you have offered on the possible compromise of the
      White House telephones story and I also appreciate your varied opinions on
      the Fox News Channel! FNC and Insight Mag both seem to have their "niche"
      market (to put it politely) but that alone should not automatically
      validate/invalidate anything they report. We all have to try to balance
      media and political propaganda with facts we can test and information we can
      trust.

      My objective in asking the coldwarcomms group for assistance was to try to
      strip the story of political complications and to try to distill what, if
      any, objective technical information could support or disprove the
      allegations. Members of this group possess a tremendous amount of specific
      knowledge and expertise in the area of the hardware and history of secure
      government communications and my first thought when I read the allegations
      was to ask the experts here!

      It now appears that it was not the secure military phone lines that were
      allegedly compromised, rather it was a non-classified (but expected to be
      secure) system for the bulk of the daily phone traffic, recently installed
      by Bell Atlantic and managed by a company called AMDOCS. So far not much
      more is confirmed except that congressional and administration leaders have
      been briefed by the FBI and that the investigation is "all but closed". For
      all we know, the FBI investigation may be simply a prudent examination of
      the allegations made by people including Gordon Thomas in his book "Gideon's
      Spies".

      Thanks again everybody.

      Tim Goldsmith
    • Craig Scott
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 5, 2009
        Yeah,  "Whistler"   modeled after Joe Engrassia....one of the original "Phone Phreaks"...and blind