Re: [coldwarcomms] any insights? no pun intended

  • J Kirkwood
    Message 1 of 43 , May 8, 2000
      Dave Emery wrote:

      > Basicly as the Insight article points out, a lot of this
      > depends on human weaknesses, carelessness, bribe or blackmailablity and
      > so forth. In theory there are controls and cross checks but all it
      > takes is a backdoor to a switch to be left open carelessly long enough
      > for a few small changes to the code and database to be implemented
      > and unfortunately these kinds of security lapses happen all the time
      > in real organizations with real fallible people.

      Dave,
      Your points are all well made. But, without this turning into a political
      discussion, this is another of a seemingly endless string of security problems with
      this Administration particularly. As I quote above, the fundamentals of espionage
      and the ability for a foreign intel agency to conduct operations depends on their
      ability to use blackmail and extortion to maniplulate situations into their favor.
      It is surprising this has taken so long to surface, and I think it will remain low
      key, lest the Israel lobby decide to quash it should it become a mass-media reported
      story.
      As I emailed Tim prior, the only national news organization that has reported
      this story is Fox Newschannel, and find that interesting since Tim's email address
      was at Fox News!

      Jason
    • Craig Scott
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 5, 2009
        Yeah,  "Whistler"   modeled after Joe Engrassia....one of the original "Phone Phreaks"...and blind