Plan ICEFOOT

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 8:06 PM
      Here's a tidbit from the National Archives which may be of interest,
      especially to the Alaska Communications System/White Alice community.

      Recently-declassified records of the U.S. Army Office of the Chief Signal
      Officer contain at least one memo (9 Dec. 1952) concerning "Plan ICEFOOT" -
      a proposal for monitoring ACS voice traffic during emergency situations, as
      part of a censorship program. The monitoring would be done at Seattle and
      Anchorage; the Seattle activity would be housed in a Bell System office.

      Source:

      Record group 111: Office of the Chief Signal Officer
      Series: Army Communications Services Division Decimal Files, 1923-1959
      Box: 23 (1951-1952)
      Folder: "676 Censorship 1951-1952"

      Albert
    • Mike Jacobs
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7 5:27 PM
        I'm heading next week to Dayton for the Hamvention, and I will try
        on the way back to photograph some AT&T facilities along the way
        from Central Pennsylvania. If anyone has any suggestions on what
        to get, let me know. I'll try to get as many L carrier stations as I
        can find. If anyone has any suggestions on navigating to them, let
        me know. I haven't really looked at the maps yet, but will do that
        this week.

        If anyone has any info on where the Lillyville, PA station is located,
        let me know I have pored over the terraserver images but wasn't
        able to locate it.

        Mike Jacobs, N3YAV
        Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
        Penn State University