forwarded message RE Ballard MO

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
      Ballard R-II School District has requested that those interested in
      purchasing the buildings and land to submit a Business Plan (please limit to
      500 words or less), outlining how the property will be used. The additional
      information will assist them in making their decisions about how the
      property will be sold. The business plan may be submitted to Ballard R-II
      School District, Rt. 1 Box 497, Butler, Missouri 64730.
      The business plan should include the following information:
      a.. The amount that is offered as the purchase price of the property
      b.. Intended use of the building
      c.. Contain a financial statement and/or bank references
      d.. Provide personal and/or business references
      e.. Explain how you intend to maintain the building and grounds at a level
      acceptable to the community
      f.. Outline job creation plans and goals
      The Ballard RII School District will open bids on April 18, 2005 at the
      regular school board meeting and consider selling the building at that time.
      If you are interest in the purchase of this property, please have your
      business plan submitted to the school district for consideration at their
      April 18th meeting.

      Thanks,

      Dave Rose
      Dave Rose, CPCU, AIC
      President
      Mid West eServices, Inc.
      P.O. Box 1602
      913 York
      Salina, KS 67401
      Phone: 785-827-4799
      Cell: 785-452-5088
      Fax: 785-452-9462
      E-mail: Dave@...
      Web Site: www.mweservices.com
    • Tad Grosvenor
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
        For those who are curious, the Ebay link is:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4351835715

        I could see turning that into a large house. Nice room for a home
        theater. Convert a few rooms in the back into garage space. Turn an
        entire room into a walk-in safe.

        Too bad there it's not ocean-front property or I could offer doug slip
        space for the Badtz Maru our back (since we are dreaming).

        The seller is also selling an underground AT&T site:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4364007018

        -Tad

        At 05:34 PM 3/30/2005 -0600, you wrote:

        >Ballard R-II School District has requested that those interested in
        >purchasing the buildings and land to submit a Business Plan (please limit to
        >500 words or less), outlining how the property will be used. The additional
        >information will assist them in making their decisions about how the
        >property will be sold. The business plan may be submitted to Ballard R-II
        >School District, Rt. 1 Box 497, Butler, Missouri 64730.
        >The business plan should include the following information:
        > a.. The amount that is offered as the purchase price of the property
        > b.. Intended use of the building
        > c.. Contain a financial statement and/or bank references
        > d.. Provide personal and/or business references
        > e.. Explain how you intend to maintain the building and grounds at a level
        >acceptable to the community
        > f.. Outline job creation plans and goals
        >The Ballard RII School District will open bids on April 18, 2005 at the
        >regular school board meeting and consider selling the building at that time.
        >If you are interest in the purchase of this property, please have your
        >business plan submitted to the school district for consideration at their
        >April 18th meeting.
        >

        >Thanks,
        >
        >Dave Rose
        >Dave Rose, CPCU, AIC
        >President
        >Mid West eServices, Inc.
        >P.O. Box 1602
        >913 York
        >Salina, KS 67401
        >Phone: 785-827-4799
        >Cell: 785-452-5088
        >Fax: 785-452-9462
        >E-mail: Dave@...
        >Web Site: www.mweservices.com
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >!DSPAM:424b37f4312301457471213!
      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005

          > For those who are curious, the Ebay link is:
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4351835715

          This is for another property that he is advertising. The post I
          forwarded was for the AT&T property, the waveguide underground,

          > The seller is also selling an underground AT&T site:
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4364007018

          This is the one. Ballard R-II has been using the underground as a
          elementary school.

          > -Tad
          >
          > At 05:34 PM 3/30/2005 -0600, you wrote:
          >
          >>Ballard R-II School District has requested that those interested in
          >>purchasing the buildings and land to submit a Business Plan (please limit

        • Mike Jacobs
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Ballard was an intended
            extension of the L-5 line that ended at Hillsboro, MO. The aboveground
            building is identical to that at Hillsboro, and Ballard is right outside Kansas
            City. When I visited Hillsboro several years ago, the AT&T person there
            told me that another station had been constructed near KC Mo, but that
            the cable had never been extended that far. This seems to answer that
            mystery.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              According to the AT&T local folks, and the
              "unofficial historian" of AT&T (title bestowed
              upon him upon his retirement from AT&T) Ballard
              was built for the underground waveguide project.

              This gentleman was the same one that was featured in
              the AT&T retirees newsletter with the announcement
              of the tower sale to ATC.

              I am a bit confused about the aboveground building
              being identical to Hillsboro, I have been in the one at
              Ballard, and the one at Hillsboro, and the layout was
              very different. Maybe it was due to one being now
              used as a school, but it was different.

              Underground, is a world of difference.

              From the day my son stumbled on the Ballard site,
              it has been a mystery. No one seems to know a lot
              about the site.

              > I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Ballard was an intended
              > extension of the L-5 line that ended at Hillsboro, MO. The aboveground
              > building is identical to that at Hillsboro, and Ballard is right outside
              > Kansas
              > City. When I visited Hillsboro several years ago, the AT&T person there
              > told me that another station had been constructed near KC Mo, but that
              > the cable had never been extended that far. This seems to answer that
              > mystery.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > On 31 Mar 2005 at 8:26, Blake Bowers wrote:
              >

              >> > For those who are curious, the Ebay link is:
              >> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4351835715
              >> >

              >> This is for another property that he is advertising. The post I
              >> forwarded was for the AT&T property, the waveguide underground,
              >>
              >> > The seller is also selling an underground AT&T site:
              >> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4364007018
              >> >

              >> This is the one. Ballard R-II has been using the underground as a
              >> elementary school.
              >>

              >> > -Tad

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Jacobs
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                This is the aboveground at Hillsboro (I am referring to the aboveground
                entrance building for the bunker, not the adjacent switching building).

                http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/hillsboro/P0000357.JPG

                The pattern of the concrete and layout is identical to that at Ballard. The
                bunker interiors may well be different, as Hillsboro looks like it presented
                some unique design challenges as it is located on a hilltop instead of an
                open plain.

                I also think they are mistaking L5 for waveguide, as to the best of my
                knowledge no actual work was done on a nationwide waveguide
                deployment prior to it being rendered obsolete by "lightguide" fiber optic.
                The only waveguide field installation was the test installation in NJ, which I
                don't think ever carried any actual traffic. Has anyone heard of any actual
                work being done on waveguide elsewhere? The time frame for this is
                wrong also, as the first waveguide test installation was installed between
                Netcong and Long Valley, NJ in 1974, while the first operational L5
                system between Lillyville, PA and Hillsboro, MO was installed in the early
                1970's (the system was turned up in January 1974). This time frame
                makes me certain that Ballard was an intended westward extension of the
                L5 route.

                On 31 Mar 2005 at 17:27, Blake Bowers wrote:

                > According to the AT&T local folks, and the
                > "unofficial historian" of AT&T (title bestowed
                > upon him upon his retirement from AT&T) Ballard
                > was built for the underground waveguide project.
                >
                > This gentleman was the same one that was featured in
                > the AT&T retirees newsletter with the announcement
                > of the tower sale to ATC.
                >
                > I am a bit confused about the aboveground building
                > being identical to Hillsboro, I have been in the one at
                > Ballard, and the one at Hillsboro, and the layout was
                > very different. Maybe it was due to one being now
                > used as a school, but it was different.
                >
                > Underground, is a world of difference.
                >
                > >From the day my son stumbled on the Ballard site,
                > it has been a mystery. No one seems to know a lot
                > about the site.
                >

                > > I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Ballard was an intended
                > > extension of the L-5 line that ended at Hillsboro, MO. The aboveground
                > > building is identical to that at Hillsboro, and Ballard is right outside
                > > Kansas
                > > City. When I visited Hillsboro several years ago, the AT&T person there
                > > told me that another station had been constructed near KC Mo, but that
                > > the cable had never been extended that far. This seems to answer that
                > > mystery.
                > >
                > > Mike

                > >> This is for another property that he is advertising. The post I
                > >> forwarded was for the AT&T property, the waveguide underground,

                > >> This is the one. Ballard R-II has been using the underground as a
                > >> elementary school.

                > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Blake Bowers
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Photo taken from the drive directly off the highway. I do see
                  where it is alike from there. Its the other side, where the normal
                  entry is that seems a bit difference, but that could have been modifications
                  to suit the layout of the site.

                  I would say you are probably right.

                  Is a link to a message by Charles McCullough, who had a set
                  of blueprints for the site that he found at the Windsor junction
                  site, said it was a L4 site. Windsor, in addition to being a
                  junction, was a work center for the WE techs.

                  Is the message I posted when I got my information on the
                  site.

                  My question would be though, would they not have also built
                  a power feed station somewhere between Hillsboro and Ballard?

                  I figure it would need to be just south of Jefferson City. I have
                  never heard of anything in that area - I have traveled that area a
                  lot, but of course, never heard of Ballard before my son stumbled
                  on it...

                  BTW, no word from the landowner we talked about, if you
                  want his information to try to contact him, you may have better
                  luck....

> [...]
                  >> Ballard, and the one at Hillsboro, and the layout was
                  >> very different. Maybe it was due to one being now
                  >> used as a school, but it was different.
                  >>
                  >> Underground, is a world of difference.
                  >>
                  >> >From the day my son stumbled on the Ballard site,
                  >> it has been a mystery. No one seems to know a lot
                  >> about the site.
                  >>

                  >> > I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Ballard was an intended
                  >> > extension of the L-5 line that ended at Hillsboro, MO. The aboveground
                  >> > building is identical to that at Hillsboro, and Ballard is right
                  >> > outside
                  >> > Kansas
                  >> > City. When I visited Hillsboro several years ago, the AT&T person
                  >> > there
                  >> > told me that another station had been constructed near KC Mo, but that
                  >> > the cable had never been extended that far. This seems to answer that

                • Blake Bowers
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                    BTW, there were cable markers going to the east, at least....
                  • Blake Bowers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                      I went through my prints this morning, trying to see
                      what I had on Hillsboro for comparison,

                      Hillsboros 1st floor underground appears to be larger,
                      according to the floorplan, but it will take a while to figure
                      out the plan.

                      I did find, much to my surprise, a full set of prints on
                      Ballard though! Labeled L4.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3 10:19 PM