[coldwarcomms] re: NCS Website

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2000
      Mark,

      I haven't looked closely at the NCS site for a while, but I'm sure
      you'recorrect. Efforts are made periodically to remove information deemed
      sensitive from publicly-accessible web sites.

      For example, about two years ago DISA had a web page which gave details,
      such as tech control locations, for the various C3I systems the agency
      operates. That page was removed, with an explanation saying it was done at
      the request of (I think) the JCS or other senior DoD leadership, for
      security reasons. Now, DISA has a classified, protected page for that
      material.

      ...Albert

      >Is it only me or did the National Communications System
      >(http://www.ncs.gov)really close off its once very extensice and
      >fascinating website?
      >The last time I looked at it (and tried to follow some links I had) a lot
      >was closed off.
      >Oh well, can't let the world know the secrets of our telecommuncications
      >planning, can we?
      >Anyone got any archives of NCS webpages?
      >
      >Mark Edward Springer
      >WL7BCT
    • Julian Allason
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2000
        Albert noted that:

        >That page was removed, with an explanation saying it was done at
        >the request of (I think) the JCS or other senior DoD leadership, for
        >security reasons.

        I understand that a comparable review of government and utility websites
        has been under way here in the UK on Security Service advice. The trigger
        was the success of the anarchists who used the last anti-capitalist/World
        Bank/globalisation demonstrations to penetrate (quite successfully) City
        of London financial institutions. Former SAS security advisors have made
        various recommendations that, if fully implemented, seem likely to limit
        damage to broken windows at Monday's planned riot.

        City of London police (we live 2 doors away from Goldman Sachs) tell me
        they are confidant in their plans to contain trouble. Which probably
        means they have started looking at the internet. So maybe freedom of
        information will be the principal victim here too.

        Julian