FAA on former WU Sites, former ATT sites.

  • james.e.innes.cgs80@alumni.upenn.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      This is my first post to the Coldwarcomms list. Anyway, I have a lot
      of knowledge re: activities on former WU sites. Unfortunately, since
      I am current American Tower management employee, I can't volunteer
      any info on current ops and tenants, but I can confirm data about the
      past, along with some current data that is in the public domain. The
      FAA is on some former WU sites, and has towers on land that was
      purchased from WU that was adjacent to existing MW sites.

      Re: Former ATT sites. American Tower Corp. (ATC) is in the process
      of purchasing approx. 1900 former ATT MW sites, about 50 % of the
      total. From ME-VA, I would say that we have about 80% of the former
      sites, including a number that also supported L-carrier repeater and
      master group switching (no former Autovon switch sites, though) with
      some underground facilities. There are plans to remove horns on some
      sites to accommodate new wireless tenants, but not much has been done
      to date. Check out www.americantower.com for more data in the near
      future on these sites.

      I'll try to answer any future questions as best I can.

      Jim I