AT&T microwave decommissioning

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2000
      AT&T's network web page (http://www.att.com/network) lists some of the
      network's features.
      One item states:
      "[AT&T] Transmits 98 percent of its domestic traffic using fiber-optic
      technology, while the remaining two percent travels [via] microwave radio
      relay. The vast majority of microwave service will be decommissioned over
      the next two years."

      I've looked at that web page before, after another list member mentioned
      it, and I believe the second sentence is new.

      ...Albert
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2000
        On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 11:49:25PM -0400, Albert LaFrance wrote:
        > AT&T's network web page (http://www.att.com/network) lists some of the
        > network's features.
        > One item states:
        > "[AT&T] Transmits 98 percent of its domestic traffic using fiber-optic
        > technology, while the remaining two percent travels [via] microwave radio
        > relay. The vast majority of microwave service will be decommissioned over
        > the next two years."
        >
        > I've looked at that web page before, after another list member mentioned
        > it, and I believe the second sentence is new.

        I second your observation. I do not remember that sentance
        either.

        This may reflect a PR concern as Echelon discussions have
        alerted the public to the vulnerability of microwave links, and only
        AT&T had retained much of any microwave plant. They might feel that
        this was a PR issue for them, even though very little operational microwave
        actually carrying traffic seems to still be around. It also may reflect
        their decision to sell the towers to American Tower as it will be obvious
        to the technical public that the system is no more as they pull the horns
        off the towers...

        > ...Albert

        > Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
        > Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
        > registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:

        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18